European Train Control System ETCS Test Manager
Posted on Sep 4, 2020 by ComTech Europe Limited
My client is looking for an experienced European Train Control (ETCS) Test-Manager.
- Have a very good professional knowledge of the English language
- (Being able to understand and communicate in French and/or Dutch is seen as a big advantage) although not essential.
- Have a good knowledge of Interlocking and ETCS Trackside Functionalities (preferably ETCS-L1), as specified in UNISIG Subset-026;
- Have a good knowledge about testing (and/or designing) an ETCS system/subsystem;
- Are experienced with ETCS dataprep tools;
- Are familiar with reading railway plans (signalling, infrastructure, speed, gradients);
- Are familiar with most of the operating principles used in Railway (eg nominal movement, on-sight movement, shunting movement);
- Have a good knowledge of Railway Signaling Principles (also outside ETCS);
- Know and understand the Belgian signal aspects (eg green, permissive and non-permissive red, red-white, double yellow, yellow-green horizontal or vertical, chevron, etc.);
- Know and understand at least UNISIG subset-026 v2.3.0 and applicable change requests for 2.3.0d detailed in subset-108 v1.2;
- Are accurate, rigorous and safety minded (a safety related error can lead to an accident);
- Can work autonomously;
- Can deal with acticities of a repetitive nature;
- Have good organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Have excellent communication skills;
- Have computer literacy and are familiar with the most wide-spread electronic office equipment (word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, Internet, etc.);
- Have expertise in writing scripts (VBA-scripts...) with Scripting tools.
Will deal with all high level testing aspects/problems/questions of the assigned partial projects;
Will set-up or adapt (if needed) existing test strategies and/or procedures which specify the various verifications (acceptance criteria's) to be conducted on a set of engeneering data for the ETCS IL systems in accordance with the UNISIG norms and standards and as defined within the scope;
Phase 1 tests (F1 tests):
Verification on a test-bench that all possible inputs from the Interlocking give the correct output towards the ETCS-equipment
Phase 2 tests (F2 tests):
For each route starting from a given ETCS point of information, ETCS balise group messages are defined. These messages are made up of ETCS packets and ETCS variables. The content of each message is defined according to a set of input documents. The aim of the F2 tests is to verify that the translation of the input documents into ETCS packets and variables is correct.
Phase 3 tests (F3 tests):
Scenarios are built up with messages of successive balise groups in nominal operation in order to check the dynamic behaviour of the ETCS assembly. In this phase, the driving ergonomics are to be verified (eg no unexpected braking of the train).
For phase F3, specific test-tools have been developed, with the aim of validating the engineered track data. These test-tools provide an interface to an ETCS-test tool which allows the user to select routes and to simulate an automatic train operation on those selected routes. The scenario's have to be introduced into these test-tools and the output of these test-tools has to be analysed.
Validation of the test results:
For each Signal (signalisation light) a Route Table has been made, as well as a procedure for the verification of these Route Tables. This procedure lists all possible routes departing from this signal and the resulting ETCS inputs for each one of these routes (MA, SSP, etc ). This results in around 20 items to be verified for each entry line of the Route Table.
There are also other documents (Route Table Writers Manual, etc ) which need to be used for this verification/validation.
Procedure for verification of the engineering databases by means of the EPOS-tool and/or PA-tool:
Will be responsible for and follow-up the correct implementation of the agreed testing strategy and procedures, processes and tools for ETCS IL systems in accordance with the UNISIG norms and standards and as defined within the scope;
Will be responsible for the execution of the verification of the engineering databases delivered within the tools (EPOS-tool, PA-tool ) according to a predefined procedure;
Will be responsible for the correct back-reporting and documentation of all Route-Table validation results;
Will be responsible for the follow-up of the validation of the fact that the delivered dataprep is functionally working within the dataprep tool;
Will lead - from a technical point of view - a team of ETCS Testers;
Will follow-up the correct execution of all tasks dedicated to him as well as their correct technical execution for several Partial Projects, all according to the agreed strategies and procedures and by making use of the correct processes and tools.
Will support the ETCS Testers by/for writing a number of scripts in VBA in order to facilitate the defined test strategies and procedures;
Will manage the results of the testreports and the possible deviations with respect to the expected behaviour;
Will analyse the faulty test results (together with the ETCS-testers) and provide recommendations to the design team and/or test-tool team for possible corrections and/or further (deeper) analysis;
Will provide his/her technical expertise in the field of ETCS, IL and railway signalling to the project;
Will report the progress of the test campaigns towards the Project Manager and System Manager.
Will deal with all high level technical aspects/problems/questions of the assigned partial projects.
Will participate to meetings (mostly internal), in order to solve technical problems and clarify requirements.