AIX Systems Administrator
Posted on Sep 3, 2020 by West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET)
The West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) is a dynamic service organization providing telecommunications and computing services to state and local government agencies within the state of West Virginia.
WORK LOCATION: Morgantown, WV
Responsible for installation and support of the AIX operating system, system security administration, operations management, hardware planning, acquisition and installations, and hardware and software maintenance.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Operating system installation and support -- Responsible for all AIX operating systems. Investigate installation requirements for new releases, install new releases, maintenance level upgrades and fixes.
* Troubleshoots and documents reported problems on the AIX machines.
* Monitors system performance and makes changes to system parameters and/or recommendations for changes to users for more efficient systems usage.
* Works with software vendors in determining problems and developing solutions. Develops and implements high availability procedures.
* System security administration -- Recommends, installs and maintains system security software.
* Monitors system security across all platforms. Investigates security breaches and works with appropriate authorities as necessary.
* Monitors CERT advisories and acquires and applies fixes as applicable.
* Operations management -- Responsible for data backup and recovery.
* Schedule operations changes for closings, maintenance periods, and other outages, including clearing with and notifying user's departments.
* Interfaces with operations manager and other managers for scheduling as required. Monitors daily operations to ensure reliable and available services. Installs and maintains backup client software and assists customers in retrieval of archived data.
* Other duties -- Provides technical assistance to other systems programmers and other WVNET user staff. Investigates, test and recommends new hardware and software. Maintains current awareness of industry trends. Installs and maintains misc. software including locally developed utilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
* Knowledge of operating systems internals, TCP/IP communications, system analysis and design techniques, database management systems, (especially Oracle).
* In depth knowledge of and support experience with the AIX operating system.
* Knowledge of at least 1 high level programming language, and demonstrated proficiency in Shell Scripting.
* Demonstrated ability to act as a project leader of ability to manage complex projects
* Ability to present ideas in a clear and concise format using narrative statements and logic
* Ability to maintain current working knowledge of technical information on a rapidly changing field.
* Ability to follow complex written and oral instructions and technical manuals.
* Documentation capabilities to write end user and technical documentation and help files.
* Good customer interaction skills.
* Ability to make presentations and give demonstrations.
* Ability to work both independently and in a group.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent, or closely related field.
* 5+ years demonstrated experience supporting AIX systems.
Starting salary range is $60,000 to $70,000 and commensurate with experience. Additionally, WVNET offers an excellent benefits package which includes comprehensive health, retirement, and insurance plans as well as generous amounts of vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
TO APPLY: SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER/VETERANS/DISABLED
The West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. WVNET provides a collegial, respectful and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity and contributions of its staff.