Lead Data Engineer/ETL/BI
Posted on Aug 26, 2020 by Beacon Hill Staffing Group
Our client in the Cleveland, Ohio area is looking for a Lead Data Engineer. This is a contract to hire position.
The Lead Data Engineer is responsible for leading a team of developers uncover enterprise insights and drive business results using smarter data analytics via the Cloud. This is a hands-on technical role and you will play an integral role in building knowledge within the team and be part of strategic cloud data initiatives for organizational and process improvements. Influence strategies and engineering capabilities for modern Data & Analytics platform.
- Full life cycle experience (requirements gathering through production deployment) in all aspects of BI, modern data warehousing, ETL, data modelling and analytics
- Ensures critical Data Warehouse and BI systems remain stable while continually evolving to meet ever-changing business needs.
- Effectively identify, manage and mitigate project risks and issues
- Work with the extended team to support recruitment of new developers/contractors into the team
- Seek out and apply new technologies and skills for ETL improvement in daily work through conferences, online training, reading, participation in organizations and user groups, etc.
- Translate business needs into technical and system design specifications
- Build and promote a positive working environment.
Execution & Deployment:
- Design and develop or modify ETL processes that load data for the data warehouse using ETL tools (Oracle ODI) and PL/SQL
- Maintain existing ETL Oracle PL/SQL procedures, packages, and Unix Scripts
- Provide ETL performance tuning
- Troubleshoot and resolve production issues under tight deadlines
- Conduct ETL design reviews with the Data Architects and DBAs
- Maintain clean and stable Dev, QA, and test environments
- Further refine and ensure adherence to standards for development, code migration, version control, and all policies and procedures.
- Drive change to implement efficient and effective development methodologies as advised by management
- Oversee the technologies, tools and techniques used within the team
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement for self, the team and the data warehouse environment
- Ability to manage time effectively and have awareness of various time zones.
- Able to work well under pressure, flexible, positive & focused during times of change.
- Able to solve complex problems, participates in continuous improvement, adapts the ideas of others.
- Demonstrates a proactive approach, getting things done, demonstrates accountability & ownership, prioritizes own workload.
- Demonstrates intellectual rigor, possesses relevant abilities and is able to pick up new skills quickly.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the team.
- Make presentations to management, internal and external clients, and peer groups as requested.
- Train and share knowledge with the team.
- Assist with Lean projects as may be required to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- Participate in hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employee opportunity policy.
- Minor travel may be required (domestic and international).
- Work hours outside the standard office 7.5 hour work day may be required.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in a related field or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years IT experience
- 10+ years experience as a data engineer or related specialty (software engineer/developer, Business Intelligence developer, data science engineer, database administrator) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
- 5+ years of experience in Scripting and optimizing advanced Oracle SQL & PL/SQL.
- 5+ years of experience with an ETL or ELT tool for data extraction, transformation and loading using one or more of the following: Informatica Power Center, Oracle Data Integrator (ODI), Azure Data Factory or a similar set of tools.
- Experience with manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
- Well versed with dimensional data modelling and the construction of ETL routines in a data warehouse environment.
- Strong experience with UNIX/Linux scripts.
- Experience with one or more of the following BI tools: Business Objects, Tableau, Oracle BI.
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Python, R, Scala.
- Familiarity with Cloud data solutions, architecture and their interdependencies for BI use.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Proven ability and initiative to learn and research new concepts, ideas, and technologies quickly.
- Strong systems/process orientation with demonstrated analytical thinking, organization skills and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to train and teach others.
- Ability to facilitate meetings and follow up with resulting action items.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment, and to lead and influence cross-organizationally with and without direct authority.
If qualified and interested, please submit a resume and rate/salary expectations using the link below!