Posted on Jul 28, 2020 by City of Shaker Heights
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs intermediate technical and clerical work involving the preparation and/or maintenance of fiscal or related records; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Performing general accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts, purchasing, payroll and/or general accounting work; assisting with various financial transactions, records preparation and maintenance. Processing of extensive overtime during snow and ice events.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Handles accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, payroll preparation and reporting, bank statement and credit card reconciliation.
- Receives, receipts, verifies and records incoming revenue; tracks expenses.
- Prepares and files various daily, monthly, quarterly and annual fiscal transaction documents and reports.
- Enters employees into payroll system; ensures payroll records are accurate and complete; distributes checks.
- Processes new employee paperwork; maintains personnel files.
- Processes cash sheet and prepares cash book.
- Prepares summary sheets by funds.
- Assists with collection of late or past due accounts.
- Processes title searches.
- Collates sorts and compiles fiscal and payroll data in accordance with procedures.
- Takes totals and prepares periodic reports for analysis, billing and other purposes.
- Operates typewriter, calculator, personal computer and other standard office equipment incident to maintaining records.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of accounting terminology, methods, procedures and equipment; thorough knowledge of standard office procedures, practices and equipment; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to establish and follow work procedures; ability to post accounts and to perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy; skill to use a variety of office machines and some typing ability; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, employees and the general public. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited community college with major course work in accounting and considerable experience in accounting and/or bookkeeping.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, fingering, feeling, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analysing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
The City of Shaker Heights does not hire individuals who use or test positive for tobacco or nicotine products.