Howland Farmers Market Manager
Posted on Jul 9, 2020 by Howland Townshp
Job Title: Market Manager, Howland Farmers Market.
The Howland Farmers Market (HFM) is a program of the Howland Township Trustees that began in 2007 as a monthly summer market. Since then, it has grown into one of the region's most robust local marketplaces averaging about 30 farms and local food entrepreneurs at each summer market. The market takes place at Howland's Richard E. Orwig Park every Saturday morning from May through October. It moves indoors November through April.
Hours & Compensation:
This is a one-year part-time assignment with an opportunity to extend for another two years. It is expected that the Manager will be at the Market on all market days and will work an average of 20 hours per week with seasonal variation. Evening and weekend hours are required.
The Market Manager has the day-to-day responsibility for the successful operation of the Howland Farmer Market. It is expected that the Manager will be at the market on all market days, other hours are flexible as required to accomplish tasks. Market days are Saturdays from May through October, and then the 1 st and 3 rd Saturday November through April.
Expectations: A successful Market Manager will be able to achieve these measureable Goals:
- Increase the market's total gross sales as reported by the vendors
- Rise in market attendance
- Greater use of SNAP and other food assistance programs
- Increase in the diversity and quality of locally grown or made product available
- Growth in the number of jobs related to the market
Major Duties and Responsibilities Managers responsibilities will include all aspects of market operations: vendor sourcing, vendor and customer relations, farm inspections, marketing and promotion, vendor training, special events planning, and budget development and management, fiscal tracking and reporting.
- Proven leadership and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of and passion for growing the local food economy
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong computer (email, spreadsheet, word processing) and social media (Facebook, Instagram) skills
- Good prioritization and organizational skills
- Ability to develop good relationships with supervisors, staff, vendors, customers, and other organizations involved in the farmers market
- Possess high level of professional integrity
- Comfortable with speaking publically and to the news media.
- Ability to generate ideas, initiate action, and follow through
- The position is open until filled
- Letter of interest along with resume can be sent electronically to Kim Mascarella at . References may be requested.
- Inquire by calling .