Posted on Jun 15, 2020 by eTeam Inc.
Role: Front End/UI Developer
Contracting Authority: DWP
Contract Length: 12 months
Security Clearance: BPSS/DBS
We are looking for an outstanding Front End Developer, who can make a positive impact, and want to contribute to the most demanding and exciting new digital service for the UK Government. Let's be clear about the impact of your work - better digital services in government will change the face of public services and have the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people.
You will have outstanding skills and be ready to quickly get to work within an agile multi-disciplinary team of Developers, Designers, and Analysts focused on the Department for Work and Pensions' flagship welfare reform programme.
You'll be the kind of person who is unconcerned with titles and hierarchy; what really excites you is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. You will draw value from collaboration with others, actively seeking input from colleagues and valuing a multidisciplinary team over hierarchy.
Day-to-day you will be an integral part of that team in designing, creating and improving new and existing products, platforms and transactions across government.
- Be involved in the wider web development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
- Have knowledge of tools and techniques used within the wider team, both Developers and Non-Developers.
- Have expert knowledge of cross-browser considerations.
Have expert knowledge of Responsive Web Design.
- Have knowledge of web accessibility and WCAG.
- Have knowledge of UX and usability.
- Have an ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Have proven experience maintaining a large and dynamic code base.
- Have experience working on technical projects within a team.
- Have working knowledge of unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X.
- Have knowledge of the use of version control systems such as subversion or git.
- Have the ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques.
- Have experience of building high-traffic websites.
- Understand web architecture.
It would also be desirable to:
- Have knowledge of client side build tools: grunt, gulp or similar
- Have the skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Have a working knowledge of Mustache templates, Java 7 and Node.js.
- Have experience with test driven development using toolsets such as Mocha and Jasmine
Person specification- the ideal candidate:
Flexible/adaptable. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
Takes responsibility/ownership. Proactively removes blockers to ensure that work is delivered. Is able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
High standards. Is committed to quality and is therefore willing to challenge colleagues and to constantly question their own approach.
Openness to criticism and ideas. Draws value from collaboration with others. Actively seeks input from colleagues and values a multidisciplinary team over hierarchy.
Strategic thinking and visioning. Able to understand and communicate the big picture and use it to prioritise and judge impact of smaller tasks and objectives.
Creativity/innovation. Generates new and innovative approaches to problems. Isn't bound by the status quo.
Enthusiasm. Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude, even under pressure.
Considerate. Enjoys working with and is sensitive to the needs of others. Values a positive working environment.