Senior Back End Developer
Posted on Jun 4, 2020 by Gray global Placements
Senior Back End Developer
Southampton SO14 (you will be able to work remotely a couple of days a week)
£55K to £60K (depending on location and experience) plus extensive benefits package
We build exceptional digital products. And that's just the beginning...
We are on the lookout for a Senior Backend Developer to join a team dedicated to building amazing content-managed websites. That means an exciting blend of greenfield development, mixed with continuous improvement work that helps us maintain our long-term relationships with our existing partners.
Experience required to be successful in this role:
- A real passion for backend development
- A knack for googling things when you don't know the answer
- A dream to work with a great team
- Experience in an agency, or working on several concurrent projects at once
- A strong appreciation of n-Tier architecture
- Spent many fun days and/or nights with REST services (ie WebAPI)
- The 3 or 4 most useful git commands memorised or written on a Post it nearby
Useful to have, but optional
- A willingness to develop into a leader over time
- A history with .NET / ASP.NET (Webforms and MVC)
- Umbraco or Orchard Core
- Experience in an agile/lean team (eg Scrum)
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience with ORMs (eg Entity Framework, nHibernate, ServiceStack, PetaPoco)
- 23 - 28 days of holiday (based on your length of service)
- Plus, your birthday off (after first year of service)
- Contributory pension scheme (4-5% employer contribution depending on length of service)
- Finish at 3pm on Fridays
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Medical insurance
- Employee assistance programme (mental health, legal and tax advice, etc)
- Free breakfast on Fridays
- Regular free lunches and drinks to reward the successes of the team
- Your choice of job-related book added to the Etch Library each month
- Employee loans
- Eye care vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Sick pay package
- A fun and supportive working environment
You will mostly be working on websites based on the Umbraco CMS, which means working in .NET / ASP.NET (mostly MVC). For the right candidate, we are willing to provide on the job training to introduce you to our way of working, and other relevant areas of knowledge.
We don't obsess about skill sets and keywords. Who you are is more important, and how you think is the only true requirement. If desired, this role can include oversight over some of our other developers and could be the start of a path towards a leadership role. Either way, the job involves input on a broad range of projects across the company, with some pretty exciting clients.
We work in a fluid & lean way, so you will need to be comfortable working iteratively with the rest of the team to deliver an excellent result without specifications or intensive project management. You'll be expected to take ownership of your work, manage your time, communicate in a dynamic team, and ultimately deliver quality code.
In return, you'll have all the support you need. You'll be working under a team lead who can manage and help you, and with other talented backend-focused colleagues. Working alongside best-in-class UX designers and frontend developers, you'll get to deliver incredible websites, and make a real impact to our business, our relationships, and our output.
This role is available in any of our offices (Southampton, London or Cape Town) and can also have a flexible work from home option. We trust our employees and we want to find something which works for everyone, so if that sounds appealing, let's chat.