IT Infrastructure Administrator
Posted on May 31, 2020 by POLYWOOD
Job Title: IT Infrastructure Administrator
Department: Information Technology (IT)
Reports To: Supervisor of IT Systems Administration
The IT Infrastructure Administrator serves as an administrative and support resource for network connectivity and server availability across POLYWOOD's corporate and satellite campuses. Primary responsibilities include implementation, management, and support of network, storage, and server system technologies as assigned, but also working with department leadership to analyze infrastructure technology to ensure that industry best practices are implemented and followed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Report to the Supervisor of IT Systems Administration for day to day workload.
- Share responsibility within the Systems Administration team in implementing, maintaining, supporting, and scaling POLYWOOD's physical and logical network, physical and virtual server, storage, business application, manufacturing systems, and other technology solutions, as assigned.
- Share responsibility in monitoring and maintaining data center systems such as battery backup, generator, air conditioning, fire suppression systems, etc.
- Work with contractors, partners, or other POLYWOOD associates to support, maintain, or implement IT infrastructure systems, business application systems, or construction projects, as assigned.
- Perform proactive analysis of issues and capacity management to ensure continued uptime of assigned systems such as network, server, storage, virtual systems, etc.
- Evaluate and provide input to the Supervisor of IT Systems Administration regarding industry best practices pertaining to assigned systems administration workload and timeframes for resolution or implementation.
- Work with department leadership and peers in reviewing and implementing preventive maintenance tasks for the network, storage subsystem, physical and virtual servers, and other technologies as assigned.
- Perform knowledge sharing with exemplary documentation and diagrams on assigned systems and issue resolutions.
- Effectively communicate with peers and department leaders when planned or unplanned maintenance or downtime occurs. At times after-hours support may be required.
- Work with the Supervisor of IT Systems Administration and the Systems Support team to ensure SLA's and optimal support resolutions to assigned systems are being met.
- When necessary, perform root cause analysis on network, server, storage, virtual systems, or other systems assigned.
- Work with department leadership to continually evaluate assigned IT systems to ensure that systems are aligned and performing to business needs, and are being effectively utilized for maximum ROI.
- Work with the department leadership and peers in evaluating the security landscape of assigned systems and prioritization of implementing security initiatives according to organizational and industry best practices.
- Provide constructive feedback and dialog regarding documentation maintained or created by IT department peers, when necessary.
- Manage the full technology lifecycle for infrastructure related systems, from procural of equipment to disposal, as assigned.
- Work with department leadership and peers in reviewing and implementing automation and scripted solutions that increase reliability of assigned systems or generate technological efficiencies.
- As needed, assist peers on the implementation, management, maintenance, and support of POLYWOOD's tier 1 and tier 2 business systems, software applications, endpoints and Microsoft server environment.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Shows exemplary interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to establish and maintain effective relationships with department peers and other company associates.
- Ability to collaborate and work independently while providing high levels of communication with peers in a fast-moving and constantly changing environment.
- Self-driven, focused, and goal-oriented.
- Proven history of ability to perform critical thinking under pressure and advanced troubleshooting on network, server, and business applications systems.
- Deep knowledge of network concepts, topologies and protocols such as VLANs, TCP/IP, STP, Multicasting, DNS, VPN, DHCP, etc. with 3+ years of progressive responsibility in administering, monitoring, and deploying such systems in enterprise environments is required.
- Experience with topologies and protocols such as HSRP (VRRP), and ACLs a plus..
- Experience with next-generation firewall, SDN and SD-WAN technologies a plus.
- Strong understanding and experience managing server, storage, and virtualization technologies is preferred. Technologies such as HCI and SAN storage solutions, vSphere, or Hyper-V.
- Comfortable with Microsoft server technologies such as Active Directory, Group Policy, PowerShell, NTFS, DFS, RDS, and SMB a plus.
- Linux server administration experience is a plus.
- Experience with SaaS and cloud technologies (Azure/AWS/GCP) a plus.
- Past experience working within a service desk role preferred.
- Must be willing to occasionally work off hours during maintenance windows, as well as occasionally share the responsibility of providing high availability to 2nd/3rd shift associates if service outages occur.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: 8+ years experience within the Information Technology industry with progressive growth in knowledge and responsibilities. BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, standard operating procedures (SOP's) and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Ability to effectively communicate complex technology problems/solutions to both end users and senior management.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages. Ability to calculate and convert units of digital storage and data rate units.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have experience using Incident Management software for managing support requests (Zendesk, ServiceNow, BMC, etc.). Familiar with ITIL concepts, practices, and procedures. Strong understanding of common networking concepts, technologies, and protocols (TCP/IP, Ethernet, DNS, DHCP, RADIUS, etc.). A sound understanding of on-premise server architecture/practices (virtualization, clustering, server BMC, hyperconvergence, etc.). A sound understanding of server system related technologies including network connectivity, management tools (PowerShell, Group Policy, etc.), software applications, operating systems, maintenance, and configuration of hardware.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Throughout the course of work, the employee may be required to operate equipment such as a scissor lift and work at heights up to 30 feet with proper safety equipment.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are normal for an office/manufacturing environment. Work may require occasional overnight travel and weekend and/or evening work.