Senior Lead Software Engineer
Posted on May 7, 2020 by I.T. Alliance N.I. Ltd
Senior Lead Software Engineer
Permanent Full Time Role
Full Java Stack Developer
Location: Dublin 1
Financial client have a vacancy for a Senior/Lead Java Software Engineer to work as part of the Software Development Team.
We are looking for a talented individual who can quickly become productive within our complex technical environment. They must have experience of working in an Agile Continuous Integration environment. The applicant must be a Senior Engineer with leadership experience and focused on quality of implementation.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in leading development teams, specifically developing Java web services and Spring components, with a track record of high quality delivery, combined with a keen appetite for all aspects of software engineering.
Purpose of the Role
The role covers all stages of the software development life cycle from strategy, application design & development to system amendment, maintenance and support. Development tasks will have a mixture of business and technical deliverables.
Assignments are of high complexity, are focused on multiple features, functions, applications and technologies where the impacts and risks associated with these developments are high.
Working closely with the Head of Software Development, this role is a Lead role providing direction and leadership to teams, including mentoring others. It interacts with Business Management, Senior Management, internal companies, external partners, third party vendors, and/or other divisions.
It contributes to the Software Development practice, and to the I.S. Enterprise (eg, training, process, practices). It is accountable for the software deliverables of the overall solution.
All development will require a high degree of co-operation with other team areas within the I.S. function. In particular the individual will work closely with other senior practitioners including Systems, Technology, and Data Architects; System and Business Analysts; and Programme and Project Managers. The Senior/Lead Software Developer must ensure that all software developed meets I.S standards and is compliant with company and other regulatory bodies.
The role is based in Dublin, Ireland, with occasional travel to our companies in Germany.
- Contributes to the strategic direction for software development across the I.S. Enterprise Architecture
- Ensures requirements and proposed solutions align with technology domains and business area strategic directions.
- Contributes to/forms the strategic directions for the use of concepts, technologies, languages, patterns, APIs, and frameworks.
- Promotes the use of new IT. industry standards, processes and practices.
- Identifies and tests underlying development assumptions
- Applies due diligence when making decisions under conditions of uncertainty and high pressure.
- Utilises structured approach to effectively manage project/programme components
- Plans efforts across multiple business functions to ensure they integrate the needs of the organisation
- Contributes to long-range strategies and effectively manages risk
- Contributes to project planning to define activities, resources, timelines and cost estimates.
- Leads software development teams for specific programmes or projects as required.
- Mentor, provide direction, and assist with development plans for other members of the software development team
- Delegates authority and empowers others.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies
- Experience in leading development of complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers. Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, Serviceoriented architectures (SOA) and relational databases.
- 7+ years Java programming experience with at least 3 years in a team leading role
- Highly proficient in Java Full Stack Technologies. Track record of delivering high quality, complex technical solutions
- Knowledge and experience of Spring, Spring Boot and Java EE
- Experience with applications Servers and in particular IBM WebSphere
- Unit and Integration testing (Junit and Mocking)
- Web services (SOAP and REST)
- Hibernate, SQL
- Maven or similar
- Good knowledge of System Architectures, Software Engineering, and DevOps/Agile practices - experience of Agile Methodologies and operating in agile/scrum based teams
- Strong competencies in Strategic Thinking, Collaboration, Communication, Problem Solving, Working on own Initiative
- Experience of Team Leading, Balancing Workloads, Performance Management, and Staff Mentoring
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills - ability to explain complex IT applications in simple user friendly language.
- Experience working with Business SMEs and Leaders
- Excellent problem solving skills, and ability to craft effective solutions
- Excellent team player, collaborative, and supportive
- Ability to multitask while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- A solution driven, self-starter with commitment and follow through v Fluent in English - written and verbal
Desired Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of insurance or financial services industry applications and functionality.
- Experience developing Broker IT/Broker portal solutions for the Insurance Industry
- Knowledge and experience of Angular, npm, TypeScript, HTML and CSS
- Experience using JIRA
- Working knowledge of German language
- 3rd level qualification in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline