VTAM Systems Engineer
Posted on May 6, 2020 by Request Technology - Kyle Honn
VTAM Systems Engineer
*We are unable to sponsor as this is a permanent full time role*
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the VTAM & TCPIP subsystems in a z/OS 2.3 and JES2 software environment.
- Assists with the analysis, design, programming, and implementation of applications that will interface with system software.
- Act as a liaison between application programmers and vendors to report and resolve software problems.
- Technical/Development/Operations groups of issues relevant to reporting, programming, and performance, identifying the need for software upgrades and patches, as appropriate.
- Install and/or participate with software management and installation. This would include installation and maintenance utilizing the IBM SMP/E product. It also includes migration with testing and integration.
- Implement and verifies backup and recovery procedures. This would include Business Recovery concerns and associated testing.
- Reviews new features and other changes related to system software and advises
- Creates, maintains, and upgrades software systems for development and production environments.
- Monitors system software access, performance, and resource utilization.
- Provides technical leadership to developers on the use of software management system, development and integration tools, and deployment strategies, to include application tuning and guidance in effective use of software features.
- Work with application programmers to ensure that application problems do not adversely affect production operations.
- Analyzes requirements and recommends policies, procedures, and standards for software systems.
- Develops and modifies technical documentation to support operations and training.
- Ability to provide 24/7/365 software support. This would include on-call support during off-hours.
- 10+ years of experience with Mainframe software management specific to VTAM & TCP IP sub-system and associated software products.
- Expert knowledge with Disaster Recovery Best Practices
- Expert knowledge of OSA Adapters, IP, VTAM & SSL Traces.
- Expert knowledge of FTPS, SFTP, AT/TLS, XCOM & z/OS Connect
- Expert knowledge of CL Super Session, TN3270 & Enterprise Extender.
- Experience using TSO, ISPF, SDSF, OMEGAMON, IPTRACE, NTSTAT & z/OSMF
- Experience supporting/leading/training of software management use with little or no direction. This would include all aspects such as logical/physical design, defining, implementing, monitoring, reporting and utilities.
- Actively mentor and guide staff in development of Mainframe implementation, testing, and maintaining of VTAM & TCPIP software and related system software skills.
- Monitor VTAM & TCPIP and its components to make recommendations to better utilize resources for optimal performance and cost-effectiveness.
- Ability to install and customize IBM and third-party software using SMP/E & IEBCOPY
- Ability to perform multiple activities simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Possible travel and variable hours may be required.
- Ability to write/read/debug programs in a batch and online environment.
- Ability to write software exit program(s) and use software utilities as required.
- Solid knowledge of Mainframe JCL and utilities.
- Experience using RACF commands for managing digital certificates & keyrings
- Experience with IP Routing, IP subnet structures, VIPA, DVIPA and hyper-sockets
If this is an opportunity that you're interested in please email your resume to: