United Way of King County AmeriCorps VISTAs
Posted on Apr 25, 2020 by United Way of King County
Hunger Intervention Program
Community Relations Coordinator VISTA
The Hunger Intervention Program's mission is to increase food security for underserved populations in north King County through nutritious meals, educational programs, and advocacy. With Hunger Intervention the Community Relations Coordinator VISTA will work to increase access to food support by developing and improving marketing materials and implement strategies to more effectively engage with the community.
Program and Volunteer Coordinator VISTA
Increase the capacity of Techbridge Girls by engaging community partners and volunteers, which will insure that more girls from low-income communities will go to college and career paths in science, technology, engineering, and mathThe AmeriCorps VISTA reports to the Executive Director, Pacific Northwest. In this position, the Volunteer Engagement VISTA will build the capacity of Techbridge Girls by: creating a volunteer engagement program to specifically engage with female STEM professionals, helping pilot an alumnae engagement program through research and recruitment, and support our Innovation, Research, and Curriculum department with developing and improving modules for our after school and professional development programs.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Experience working with families, schools, and communities from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and relationship-building skills
• Knowledge of, and interest in, equity issues, especially those affecting women of color in STEM
• Resourceful, self-motivated, creative, and flexible
Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association
Community Engagement and Development Specialist VISTA
Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association fights poverty by providing resources and affordable housing to families in need. The Community Engagement and Development Specialist VISTA will increase agency capacity to help families gain familiarity with resources, assess need, increase capacity to build and enhance relevant programs needed by the community and promote pathways to success. The VISTA will develop strategies to increase success through resource awareness and involvement in DNDA programs, specifically among K-12 children and youth as well as their immediate families. The VISTA will also work to improve current methods of identifying community needs for programs, from concept to start-up, with a focus on fundraising.
Voices of Tomorrow
Marketing and Community Outreach Coordinator VISTA
Voices of Tomorrow's mission is to eliminate racial inequities in the Early Learning System, which deeply affect Immigrant and Refugee children's growth, development, and academic performances. The Marketing and Community Outreach Manager VISTA will work to develop Voices of Tomorrow's outreach department to increase overall awareness and engagement of available resources. Along with designing written materials and digital content to promote existing programs to Preschool parents, family childcare providers and community members, the VISTA will lead development of new marketing strategies and develop innovative approaches to reach targeted stakeholders for the purpose of achieving Voices of Tomorrow's mission and vision.
King County Housing Authority
Housing Stability Coordinator VISTA
The King County Housing Authority is a national leader in providing innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. The Housing Stability Coordinator VISTA will work to impact the long-term life outcomes of King County Housing Authority residents and the ability to maintain healthy and safe affordable housing by developing partnerships and relationships with community providers and partners in health, behavioral health, and social support services. The VISTA will also develop stability project communications and marketing materials, including culturally inclusive brochures, posters, and other publicity materials to increase overall awareness and engagement.
Seattle School District
Student Success AmeriCorps VISTA
Seattle School District strives to collaborate with families to stay involved in their student's education by providing resources and community referrals to assist with educational support services and basic needs. The Student Success VISTA will work to develop partnerships and implement strategies to build the capacity of McKinney Vinto & family/community engagement programs to connect homeless students and unaccompanied youth to services, support, and programs to stabilize housing and achieve academic excellence.
Kent School District
Student Success AmeriCorps VISTA
Kent School District strives to collaborate with families to stay involved in their student's education by providing resources and community referrals to assist with educational support services and basic needs. The Student Success VISTA will work to develop partnerships and implement strategies to build the capacity of McKinney Vinto & family/community engagement programs to connect homeless students and unaccompanied youth to services, support, and programs to stabilize housing and achieve academic excellence.
Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA
FareStart has been helping people transform their lives through food for over 25 years - one person, one job and one community at a time. Work with FareStart to fight poverty by building the capacity of engagement opportunities for community groups and individuals to support FareStart's programs and low-income students. The Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA will audit and build capacity within existing community engagement opportunities, diversify community partners, create new engagement opportunities and expand outreach efforts.
Outreach Coordinator VISTA
North Helpline's mission is to ensure that all receive adequate food, housing, and respect. The Bitter Lake VISTA will work to increase community access to food in Bitter Lake and North Aurora Ave by increasing awareness of the Bitter Lake Food Bank through strategic marketing and outreach techniques. The VISTA will work to expand services provided and build partnerships to meet the North Seattle neighbor's unique needs and help stretch their dollars further to create a thriving community. The VISTA will also develop systems and processes to improve overall volunteer experience at Bitter Lake.
- 18 years of age or older
- U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States. Unfortunately, for this position F1 Visas are not sufficient
- Availability fulltime 40 hours per week from March 16, 2020, to March 15, 2021
- Must go through background checks
- Modest living stipend of $1,583.40 per month, pre-tax
- Healthcare, life insurance, and childcare benefits, and 24-hour access to counseling services over the phone
- Relocation and travel reimbursement if you're relocating over 50 miles to serve
- Unlimited ORCA Transportation card
- 10 personal days, 10 sick days, 9 federal holidays
- Eligible to receive Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($5,920), or a cash award ($1,800) after successful completion of your service year
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual repayment on qualified student loans; private loans are not eligible
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment
- Unique cohort experience with monthly team meetings to participate in high-quality training, professional development, networking opportunities, and one-on-one support from a VISTA Leader
- A strong ethic of service and commit to anti-poverty work
- Demonstrated interest working with non-profits and/or degree in related field
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent organizational abilities and project and time management skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing workload
- Proficiency with MS office programs including Outlook, Word, & Excel
- Willingness to maintain a strong work ethic in the face of challenges such as living within the means of the VISTA living stipend
- Experience recruiting or managing volunteers, planning events, and/or working with homeless, diverse, or low-income populations
About the Company
United Way of King County is building a community where people have homes, students graduate and families are financially stable. VISTAs commit to serve full-time for one year at organizations across the county starting Mid-March 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We deploy AmeriCorps VISTAs with partner agencies doing excellent work in the following impact areas: ending homelessness, increasing food security, engaging youth in academic and career pathways, and expanding economic opportunities. We are currently recruiting for VISTA positions for the below organizations.