Breakfast after the Bell Associate
Posted on Mar 26, 2020 by United Way of King County
Breakfast after the Bell Program Overview
Join United Way to ensure low-income children living in poverty have access to school breakfast and nutritious means where they live, learn, and play by building capacity for schools and communities. The VISTA will fight poverty by increasing the accessibility and utilization of school breakfast focusing on Washington schools, building capacity for implementing Breakfast after the Bell & Community Eligibility Provision in schools and districts across the state, by collaborating with community partners to increase awareness of Breakfast after the Bell and Community Eligibility Provision, and supporting outreach efforts to families.
Member Roles and Responsibilities
This team will consist of two members, one serving the Puget Sound region and one serving the Central Washington region.
- Increase student access to school breakfast by enhancing the Breakfast After the Bell technical assistance tools
- Consult with schools and partners in key regions to troubleshoot challenges in implementation of the Breakfast After the Bell Program
- Develop communication strategies and pathways for consultation with schools.
- Develop and execute strategies to raise awareness of the Community Eligibility Provision to eligible schools
- Create a Community Eligibility Provision toolkit so that new resources and best practices are accessible to others
- Coordinate ongoing webinars and in-person regional meetings to educate partners on the Breakfast After the Bell program and the Community Eligibility Provision
- Coordinate the 2020 Washington State Breakfast Challenge to increase awareness of and participation in school breakfast
- 18 years of age or older
- U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States. Unfortunately, for this position, F1 Visas are not sufficient
- Availability fulltime 40 hours per week from March 16, 2020, to March 15, 2021
- Must go through background checks
- Modest living stipend of $1,583.40 per month, pre-tax
- Healthcare, life insurance, and childcare benefits, and 24-hour access to counseling services over the phone
- Relocation and travel reimbursement if you're relocating over 50 miles to serve
- Unlimited ORCA Transportation card
- 10 personal days, 10 sick days, 9 federal holidays
- Eligible to receive Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($5,920), or a cash award ($1,800) after successful completion of your service year
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual repayment on qualified student loans; private loans are not eligible
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment
- Unique cohort experience with monthly team meetings to participate in high-quality training, professional development, networking opportunities, and one-on-one support from a VISTA Leader
- A strong ethic of service and commit to anti-poverty work
- Demonstrated interest working with non-profits and/or degree in related field
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent organizational abilities and project and time management skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing workload
- Proficiency with MS office programs including Outlook, Word, & Excel
- Willingness to maintain a strong work ethic in the face of challenges such as living within the means of the VISTA living stipend
- Experience recruiting or managing volunteers, planning events, and/or working with homeless, diverse, or low-income populations
About the Company
United Way of King County is building a community where people have homes, students graduate and families are financially stable. VISTAs commit to serve full-time for one year at organizations across the county starting Mid-March 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We deploy AmeriCorps VISTAs with partner agencies doing excellent work in the following impact areas: ending homelessness, increasing food security, engaging youth in academic and career pathways, and expanding economic opportunities. We are currently recruiting for VISTA positions for the below organizations.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.