Hurricane Harvey Disaster Recovery Program
Posted on Mar 25, 2020 by SBP
Help Houston recover from Hurricane Harvey while serving your community! We have been rebuilding homes damaged by Hurricane Harvey since October of 2017 but there is still much work to do!
AmeriCorps members serving with us in Houston, Texas will become a part of the growing national service movement, and have the opportunity to develop valuable professional skills with a dynamic organization that is pioneering a new model for disaster recovery. AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to gain a variety of skill sets according to your professional goals.
Typical AmeriCorps positions with SBP include Client Service Coordinators, Construction Project Leads, Volunteer Coordinators, and Supply and Logistics positions.
As a Project Lead, you are the volunteers main point of on-site contact and actively lead the construction efforts on clients' homes. You will be responsible for training and managing volunteers, monitoring safety, ensuring quality work, effectively participating in construction, and completing tasks on schedule.
As a Client Services Coordinator, you will be an advocate and liaison to clients from application to completion of construction and move-in while working with clients to remove barriers to their recovery. As the sole point of contact for our clients, Client Services Coordinator foster strong relationships and educate homeowners on your site's mission and policies.
As a Supply & Logistics Coordinator, you will ensure construction sites are provided with the necessary tools and materials on time and accurately. Supply & Logistics Coordinators efficiently procure materials, prepare and deliver orders, and schedule pick-ups for each job site with a keen focus on accuracy. They work closely with vendors to procure necessary materials and keep the warehouse organized, stocked and clean of debris and clutter.
As a Volunteer Coordinator, you will support your site's mission by creating an extraordinary volunteer experience that gets people excited about volunteering with your site. Volunteer Coordinators handle all volunteer logistics, support volunteer fundraising efforts that directly support the AmeriCorps project
Applicants for this position do not need any prior construction experience. As long as you are willing to learn, are adaptive to change, and are excited to serve as part of a team that will lead a diverse array of volunteer groups, we encourage you to apply!
AmeriCorps is a National Service program and an incredible opportunity to serve the community. Members will serve 10 months, full time with start dates from May through September. Members are required to serve 42 hours a week. A typical service week is Monday - Friday, however, volunteer events often occur on Saturday and will require attendance.
- Be at least 17 years of age or older.
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
- Monthly Living stipend of $1,399
- An additional $150 monthly housing stipend for individuals who have previously served in AmeriCorps, NCCC, or VISTA
- An education award of $6,095 upon successful completion of each 10 month term
- Eligibility to postpone repayment of federally-guarantee student loans during their service term. (The National Service Trust will also pay all or a portion of the interest that accrued during the service period.)
- Free limited benefits health coverage
- Child care assistance
- Valuable professional development and opportunities to further their career
- Potential opportunities to travel in order to respond to disaster event