z/OS Systems Engineer
Posted on Mar 17, 2020 by Request Technology - Kyle Honn
z/OS Systems Engineer
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the z/OS 2.3 and JES2 software environment.
- Provides technical leadership to developers on the use of software management system, development and integration tools, and deployment strategies, to include application tuning and guidance in effective use of software features.
- Work with application programmers to ensure that application problems do not adversely affect production operations.
- Install and/or participate with software management and installation. This would include installation and maintenance utilizing the IBM SMP/E product. It also includes migration with testing and integration.
- Implement and verifies backup and recovery procedures. This would include Business Recovery concerns and associated testing.
- Reviews new features and other changes related to system software and advises Technical/Development/Operations groups of issues relevant to reporting, programming, and performance, identifying the need for software upgrades and patches, as appropriate.
- Creates, maintains, and upgrades software systems for development and production environments.
- Monitors system software access, performance, and resource utilization
- Assists with the analysis, design, programming, and implementation of applications that will interface with system software.
- Analyzes requirements and recommends policies, procedures, and standards for software systems.
- Develops and modifies technical documentation to support operations and training.
- Performs other duties as assigned including special projects.
- Develop/maintain/monitor proper software use and security authorization policies.
- Ability to provide 24/7/365 software support. This would include on-call support during off-hours.
- 10+ years of experience with Mainframe software management specific to z/OS operating system and other software products.
- Experience supporting/leading/training of software management use with little or no direction. This would include all aspects such as logical/physical design, defining, implementing, monitoring, reporting and utilities.
- Ability to install and customize IBM and third-party software using SMP/E & IEBCOPY
- Experience in keeping the z/OS hardware configuration current using HCD. Ability to write/read/debug programs in a batch and online environment.
- Ability to write software exit program(s) and use software utilities as required.
- Solid knowledge of Mainframe JCL and utilities.
If this is an opportunity that you're interested in please email your resume to: