Graduate Business Development Executive (STEM)
Posted on Mar 7, 2020 by STEM Graduates into Business
Are you a graduate from a Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths (STEM) related degree? Would a non-traditional career still utilising your degree knowledge be of interest?
Granted, a market-leading consultancy is seeking a recent (within 3 years) STEM graduate to join their growing team in Exeter. Their work is focused on reaching out to innovative businesses and supporting them to unlock innovation funding to further benefit their work. Granted have multiple staff with a scientific background including biology, engineering, physics and chemistry and economics.
Working closely with Granted's marketing team, you would be responsible for generating and following up on new leads, forming an understanding of the prospective business and its requirements for growth. Once qualified, you will work closely with the Business Development team to secure the business.
- A recent graduate (up to 3 years from a STEM-based degree)
- Have high levels of communication skills in order to build relationships with businesses. This linked with your ability to understand the technologies and language of the businesses will lead a more thorough understanding of the business and so to match to relevant funding opportunities
- Some previous experience in a sales environment
- Be pro-active
- Have excellent problem-solving skills
- Have experience of report writing (proposal writing would also be highly desirable)
- Be self-motivated and driven to achieve targets
- Be organised and able to prioritise tasks and workload
- Be able to work in a team environment
- Be proficient in MS office suite and capable of learning new software packages quickly
This is a great opportunity for the right person to embrace an entrepreneurial environment in a fast-growing small company and benefit from being a key member of the team as the business continues to grow. Knowledge of the business funding landscape and innovative technologies is desirable, but full training will be provided.
- Being the first contact point for new enquiries
- Generating new business from various sales and marketing activities
- Represent Granted at Industry events; engage in networking and develop B2B partnerships
- Educating potential clients in the funding opportunities and requirements
- Matching potential projects to available funding opportunities
- Develop and deliver proposals and presentations
- Conducting new client handover meetings to the delivery team
- Reporting on activity and sales targets, including tracking opportunities using Granted's CRM
** This role has previously been advertised as Junior Business Development Manager. Previous applicants need not apply as previous applications will be considered alongside newer ones **
To make an application send a covering letter and CV by clicking APPLY NOW clearly demonstrating how you fit the role and person profile and why you would like to work with Granted. This role is open to graduates from any university who have graduated in the past 3 years. Closing date 23rd February 2020
Help with applying can be found in the Careers Advice section here on Gradsouthwest, by contacting your university or college careers department or from the Stem Grads team by emailing
This role is being advertised as part of STEM Graduates into Business, a European Regional Development Funded project delivered by the University of Plymouth Careers Service. Its aim is to increase the number of paid internships available to recent graduates with small and medium sized enterprises based in Devon. Funded until spring 2021, the project should produce 80 internships with 80 separate employers across the county.
By providing support and funding to the SMEs, it is hoped that a cohort of graduate employing SMEs will be created which will continue to employ graduates beyond the life of the project.