Posted on Mar 6, 2020 by Congregation of St Joseph
Looking for the most rewarding and peaceful workplace in Northeast Ohio? The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph is that place! Located on a wooded campus overlooking the Cleveland Metroparks, with a state-of-the-art kitchen in a beautiful new Center that opened in 2019.
The Lead Cook provides support to the Director of Food Service, is responsible for food preparation, and helps with supervision of the kitchen and dining room student staff. Assists the Director with various tasks relative to the smooth operation of the Food Service Department.
- Works with staff to ensure food quality and consistency.
- Trains and/or re-trains employees as needed.
- Coaches employees in deficient areas per instructions from the Director.
- Provides feedback to employees.
- Assists Director in planning and developing menu.
- In collaboration with Food Service Director and relevant staff members, develops menus specific to River's Edge and special event menus for events of the Sisters.
- Engages other staff members in menu planning process per instructions from the Director.
Food Preparation & Operational Requirements:
- Prepares food by establishing nutrition standards, presentation standards, and preparation procedures; measures food products to standards and makes adjustments as needed.
- Completes kitchen operational requirements by utilizing assigned staff; follows-up on work results and communicates any staff deficiencies promptly to staff members. Documents employee deficiencies and coaches employee on methods of improvement.
- Maintains clean, safe work environment in accordance with sanitation requirements and in accordance with cleaning schedule as set by the Director.
- Ensures all policies and procedures are followed by staff members with regard to safety and sanitation.
- Develops recipes and recipe manual for staff.
- Actively participates in staff meetings to review processes, techniques, new menus and/or team building sessions.
- Participates in the employee review process by providing input to the Director regarding staff members.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing professional networks; participating in professional societies.
- Routinely communicates with the Food Service Director. Regularly communicates staff concerns to Director. Assists Director as needed and collaborates with Director. Calls upon Director for assistance as needed/required.
- Functions as Time & Attendance back-up. Verifies work schedules, edits & approves punches for assigned staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Creativity required. Lead Cook must be conscious of healthy methods of cooking, vegetarian options, etc.
- Must be able to collaborate and offer menu suggestions, changes, seasonal items, operational requirements and/or changes, etc.
- Ability to work as a team player and effectively communicate with staff.
- Ability to be on one's feet for extended periods of time in service of guests.
- Formal culinary training required; minimum of 3 years' experience desired. Serv Safe certification required.
- Familiar with a variety of concepts, methods and menu ideas relative to the food service operation.
- Supervisory experience: ability to train, coach, reprimand employees as needed.
- Interpersonal skills: must be able to work with a variety of individuals in a collaborative and productive manner. Must be able to effectively address employee concerns.
- Organizational skills: must maintain a high level of organization in order to meet the goals of the department.
- Basic computer skills required. Able to use email, ADP Time & Attendance, Word, Excel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 3 years of hands-on experience in a commercial kitchen or dietary department desirable.
- Experience with elderly or geriatric population desirable.
- Formal food service or culinary training desirable.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Work can be physically demanding.
- Must be able to be on one's feet for extended periods of time.
- Ability to withstand and to be exposed to extreme temperatures when going into the freezer and/or when operating the oven
- Ability to handle sharp instruments.
- Ability to operate a variety of appliances.
- Must be able to stoop, reach, bend, lift up to 20 pounds.
Successful applicants must pass state-required drug and background screens and TB testing, including fingerprinting.
We offer a peaceful and caring work environment along with a competitive wage and full benefits, including paid time-off and retirement plans.
The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this position, please send letter of interest, resume, and hourly wage requirement to (see below)