Big Data Engineer
Posted on Feb 28, 2020 by Request Technology - Craig Johnson
Prestigious Fortune 500 Company is currently seeking a Big Data Engineer. Candidate will leverage data and analytics to help automate and optimize Data processes enabling our employees to focus on serving our customers and delivering the most advanced claims experience on the planet. They will be responsible for helping to bring together complex data into clean and useful data structures making our valuable data more approachable.
- Involved in the design, prototyping and delivery of software solutions within the big data eco-system
- Work independently on big data projects and/or serving as analytics SME to provide new or enhanced data to the business
- Improving data governance and quality increasing the reliability of our data
- Influencing the creation of a single, trusted source for key Claims business data that can be shared across the Enterprise
- Responsible for designing and building new Big Data systems for turning data into actionable insights
- Train and mentor junior team members on Big Data/Hadoop tools and technologies
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and presents recommendations to management
- Develop solutions and iterates quickly to continuously improve
- Seeks out and evaluates emerging big data technologies and open-source packages
- Participate in strategic planning discussions with technical and non-technical partners
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of Big Data and Analytics tools to achieve results (ie, Python, Hadoop, HIVE, Scala, Impala and others).
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of programming languages on Big Data and Analytics work (ie Java, Python, SQL, R)
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering (or related field) or equivalent experience preferred
- 1-3 years of experience (preferred) in a data integration, ETL/development and/or business intelligence/analytics related function
- Advanced high-level coding skills such as SQL and Python and/or other Scripting languages (UNIX) required. Scala is a plus but not required
- Experience with source control solutions (ex git, GitHub, Jenkins, Artifactory) Highly desired
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and tools to iterate quickly on product changes, developing user stories and working through backlog (Continuous Integration and JIRA a plus)
- Working knowledge of Tableau - a plus
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities. Decision making capabilities including problem solving approaches, decision frameworks; ability to design and lead complex analysis
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.