Senior Grant Accountant
Posted on Feb 27, 2020 by M&T Bank
This person is the primary Accountant for Westminster Community Charter Schools financial operations within the Buffalo Promise Neighborhood. This position is responsible for all financial and accounting functions for Westminster Community Charter School including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, grant accounting and reporting, retirement plan reporting and budgeting, tax and audit preparation and board financials/reporting.
About Buffalo Promise Neighborhood:
Buffalo Promise Neighborhood is a unique public/private partnership serving over 12,000 residents, including 3000 children, in the city of Buffalo, primarily residing in the 14215 zip code. Within this geography is Westminster Community Charter School where 550 students are enrolled in unique programs and services in support of academic achievement and healthy development, preparing students for high school, college and career.
Westminster Foundation is a non-profit organization that was recently awarded a Federal Promise Neighborhood planning grant to develop the Buffalo Promise Initiative (BPI). BPI will provide a full continuum of academic and family solutions/services from birth to college in a neighborhood located in the 14215 zip code of Buffalo, NY. The initiative features: a strong plan for school reform, a full service approach to support learning; integrate fragmented Neighborhood services; promote civic engagement as a path to college/employability; and dynamic leadership deeply embedded in the Neighborhood.
Set up Fund Accounting procedures to assist management in decision-making.
Responsible for tracking and reporting of complex allocations across multiple programs, projects, and reporting periods.
Perform daily, monthly, quarterly and annual fund accounting and reporting procedures.
Prepare journal entries and cash reconciliations.
Develop quarterly cash-flow forecasts and monitoring expenses relative to the BPNs segregated funds.
Track allocations for pledges and services provided in-kind to the Buffalo Promise Neighborhood.
Alert Senior Management of potential shortfalls and other fiscal issues.
Prepare financial statements for board meetings and management presentations
Work with outside auditors
Serve as a primary contact for grant administration financial reporting and any closeout functions
Create and analyze financial reports, monitor grant budgets and develop efficient accounting procedures in accordance with applicable law.
Educate directors and project staff on allowable expenditures while ensuring that grant funds are expended in compliance with federal, state, and local grantor agency regulations.
Understand and adhere to the Companys risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Companys Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M & T Bank brand.
Maintain M & T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
Complete other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting
- 5+ years work experience with a public accounting firm, or equivalent job experience with a recognized non-profit organization
- Experience in Fund or Grant Accounting
- Familiarity with non-profit accounting software, preferably Abila MIP fund accounting software
- Must possess a detailed understanding of how to account for segregated/restricted funds and their aggregate impact on the organizations cash flow and development activities
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Certified Public Accountant designation
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with a supporting history of accomplishing results
- Creative and analytical with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable in an often changing compliance environment
- Experience in preparing budgets and financial reports for Government compliance requests
- Proficiency in MS Office Tools; strong in Excel
- Has a demonstrated interest in education; especially issues surrounding poverty and urban school districts
Buffalo, New York, United States of America