CDN Performance Engineer
Posted on Feb 18, 2020 by Verizon
Whether it s coverage, reliability, or speed - Verizon has the best network
Verizon is a leader in innovation by being the first company to launch a
commercial 5G network. In addition to amazing speed, 5G will usher in the 4th
industrial revolution and enable next-generation capability such as virtual
reality, self-driving cars, remote surgery, and things only yet imagined. You
will be helping build and optimize this new 5G network. Your work will make an
impact on the lives of thousands in the future with how they live, work, and
A talented and self-motivated engineer to join our Headquarters Service
Performance organization. The ideal candidate operates in a collaborative,
analytical, and associate-focused way to effectively drive results in a fast-
paced and rapidly growing network environment. The candidate must also be able
to develop trusting relationships with key cross-functional teams, exhibit
strong command presence, be passionate about improving processes, and building
a culture of continuous improvement. This position will provide engineering
efforts across multiple business units by identifying performance bottlenecks
and making tuning recommendations.
The performance engineer will work with the latest performance testing tools
and technologies to ensure our industry leading platforms are high performing
and can scale to meet the needs of the business in a multi-cloud environment.
This job requires a strong background in performance engineering, exceptional
organizational, analytical, collaboration, and communication skills. The
engineer will coordinate with various organizations in designing and
implementing holistic performance test strategies for applications end to end.
The engineer will understand and develop systems that collects and analyzes
monitoring data using application performance monitoring-based solutions. You
will design tests related to network application performance, implement
portions of that test architecture, and work with other networking and
engineering professionals to conduct comprehensive end-to-end testing of 3GPP
* Research and understand the 3GPP evolution from release 15, 16, and
beyond. Implement that research in performance standards ensuring a
* Research and understand the end-to-end network design and call flows to
help maintain and improve network accessibility, retain ability,
mobility, and integrity.
* Participate in the planning, testing, and integration phases of various
projects to upgrade, redesign, and integrate new and existing services.
* Utilize various software tools to proactively identify, investigate, and
resolve anomalies with various key performance indicators (KPIs), log
messages, call flows, and raw packets.
* Provide escalation support to our network assurance teams and assist
troubleshooting urgent customer impacting issues.
* Explore and develop new ways to improve efficiency and effectiveness
through developing methods of automation and analysis.
* Think critically, creatively, outside of the box and challenge the status
quo, while also fairly evaluating all possible solutions in making
strategic performance decisions.
What we re looking for.
* Bachelor s degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Six or more years of relevant work experience.
* A degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering with a
computer networking focus, other related degree, or extensive networking
* Master s degree.
* Knowledge of 3GPP Release 15 and 16 network interfaces, network elements,
and call flows.
* Experience in the IP networking or network software/programming, or
equivalent detailed coursework in IP networking topics.
* Experience with performance tools such as SevOne, Netscout, Wireshark,
* Experience with cloud-native software tools such as Prometheus, Github,
Kubernetes, Grafana, Jaeger, Elastic.
* Experience with different programming languages such as Python, Jenkins,
Kafka, Java, Perl, NGINX.
* Knowledge of protocols such as; DNS, SNMP, HTTP/S, TCP, UDP, BBR, DHCP,
* Knowledge of packet data networks analysis concepts. Including knowledge
of the TCP/IP protocol suite, knowledge of TCP/IP (IPv4 and IPv6)
algorithms such as slow start, congestion control algorithm, etc.
* Previous cloud performance experience.
* Experience in automation tools/frameworks.
* Experience in Splunk and/or creation of Splunk dashboards or related
* Knowledge of multiple cloud computing platforms and the impact of
* Willingness to Travel.
When you join Verizon.
You ll have the power to go beyond - doing the work that s transformin
people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide
the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to
5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making
communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you ll have the
ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in
code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We
offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every
role. Together we ll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees'
differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes
Job Family: TEC
Business Unit: HQOVH