Senior/Lead Automation Test Engineer
Posted on Feb 8, 2020 by IT Search & Selection
Senior Test Engineers are responsible for ensuring the quality delivery of the defined goals of the agile team. They will identify the needed integration testing effort and will proactively partner across agile teams to ensure the appropriate testing is completed to not impact other teams. They will be deep application and test technology skill set subject matter experts. May research third party/cloud solutions and how best to manage quality deliverables on them. The Senior Test Engineer plays a critical role in mentoring Test Engineers of all levels to ensure we are growing future talent within the agile teams.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides test leadership and direction for all EPIC features delivered
- Collaborates with Sr. Software Engineers, Principle Software Engineers or Architects on the application of agreed testing standards process, tooling and frameworks required for the delivery of features in the product backlog
- Ensures application solution design conforms to agreed quality attributes such as performance, security and usability etc.
- Evaulates 3rd party/cloud based solutions and new releases to socalize testing implications. Participates in evaluation for purchase and/or implementation of new features.
- Ensure product backlog has appropriate acceptance criteria defined and participates in their prioritization
- Provides ongoing and appropriate mentorship for team members on the discipline of testing
- Plays an active role in championing and improving the test practices
- Drives the team's build out and use of test automation through metrics and data
- Collaborates and partners with the business and the agile team to ensure acceptance tests are automated by the team
- Identifies process improvements and contributes to corporate testing standards and definition of best practices.
- Provides consultancy and coaching team members on unit testing, test driven development, provisioning of test data through stubs and drivers, White Box testing tools and techniques etc.
- Keeps abreast of emerging testing practices and technologies and pro-actively analyzes current processes and practices and suggests and drives improvements
- May manage complex multi-function, multi-business unit projects with medium-high risk impacts
- Responsible for ensuring the quality of existing and new features through both manual and automated testing and use of continuous integration techniques where practical
- Partner closely with the Business Analyst to create acceptance criteria for the user stories. Produces test scripts, materials and regression test packs to test new and amended software or services. Specifies requirements for environment, data, resources and tools.
- Partners closely with team members to assist with and help drive test automation through all phases of testing (such as unit, system, integration and regression)
- Is an advocate for Quality Assurance best practices across the entire team throughout the deliverables
- Analyzes and reports test activities and results using industry best practices that align with the companies reporting and metrics needs
- Develops test strategies, test plans, test cases, test coverage, and test execution reports to support the Quality Assurance effort in testing features that are part of application and/or solution changes
- Creates and maintains traceability records, from test cases back to requirements.
- Communicates daily with the Scrum Master and/or Team Lead and the Agile team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments blocking their progress
- Participates in sizing and estimation activities within the agile team
- Collaborates with the Team (Business Analysts, Designers, Software Engineers, Architects, etc.) to ensure that the team defines, configures, builds and produces features and solutions that meet or exceed what the product owner is expecting
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- Automates testing of software to industry standards
- Create and maintain appropriate test artifacts for the team
- Collaborates with software engineers on the definition of done for software deliveries transitioning to testing and ensures the agile team understands the overall testing process
- May direct the activities of onshore and offshore testing teams and be accountable for ensuring that they adhere to the teams standards
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
- Bachelors degree preferred, or equivalent business experience
- 6+ years experience in software testing and demonstrated experience in test practices and technologies or equivalent relevant work experience
- Experience in coordinating testing and test infrastructure across multiple teams and platforms.
- Experience in automation testing iOS and Android mobile applications a distinct advantage.
- Experience in automation testing of Web based applications.
- Experience in TFS, Selenium, Gherkin, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, Visual Studio, AppCenter/Apium mobile device automated testing.
- Experience in the full life cycle of defect management, setting the priority and severity of defects, identifying ship-blockers and follow-ups with Fault Slip Analysis/Root Cause Analysis.
- Experience of testing CRM systems an advantage.
- Shows evidence of analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Strong experience of Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies
- Self motivated and results oriented
- Takes an innovative approach to problem solving
- Demonstrates strong focus on quality delivery and delighting customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong team player; able to lead and work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
- Takes an innovative approach to problem solving
- Test Certifications are preferred (ISTQB certifications, CSM, CSD, CSP