Data & Care Coordinator
Posted on Feb 7, 2020 by Premier Physicians Centers
Premier Physicians Centers
Position Title: Data & Care Coordinator
Reports To: Director, Clinical Integration & Utilization Management
FLSA Status: Exempt
Overview: The Data & Care Coordinator is responsible for assisting with patient care coordination and helping manage both data ingestion and data usage. This individual will work closely with the Healthcare Data Analyst to ensure proper workflow for the Clinical Integration & Utilization Management Department. Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, the Data & Care Coordinator utilizes clinical and administration skills to ensure appropriate services and excellent care is provided to patients. Committed to the continuous improvement of the patient experience, which includes patient safety, quality of care, and excellent service.
- Monitors ED visits, inpatient, and skilled nursing facility discharges and notifies appropriate team members.
- Researches multiple portals to obtain up to date patient information and scans documents into patient electronic medical record.
- Assists with coordinating workflow between clinical/non-clinical staff to ensure timely completion of multiple deadlines.
- Sends referrals as needed and monitors for responses.
- Interacts with the care team on challenging cases.
- Under the direction of the Healthcare Data Analyst, assists with closing care gaps by accessing payer portals.
- Provides follow up on patient attribution issues, as directed by the Healthcare Data Analyst.
- Reviews electronic documents while navigating multiple systems at a given time and works back and forth on dual monitors if needed.
- Actively participates as a member of a patient-focused interdisciplinary care team.
- Makes transition calls to discharged patients daily within the designated time frames and documents and tracks findings.
- Initiates or accepts referrals from staff for patient needs assessment, determines eligibility for resource assistance, and makes resource referrals.
- Assists care transition/management as needed with other job duties to ensure smooth functioning of the department.
- Gathers, arranges, processes, cross-checks, cleans, reorganizes and models data for decision making.
- Analyzes a large volume of data be it structured or unstructured; prepares and presents data in the right form (graphs, charts, tables) for decision-making and problem-solving process.
- Contacts patients for transition of care or follow up care, assesses their needs, identifies gaps in care.
- Works closely with physicians, nurses and other medical staff to communicate a patient's needs and concerns.
- Assesses for potential barriers and provides resources or referrals as needed.
- Reviews hospital discharge information, assesses patient understanding, and provides education as needed. Follows up with patients to assure their needs are still being met after discharge.
- Identifies patients that may need care management services.
- Uses clinical judgment, critical thinking and problem-solving techniques when assessing patients in order to promote optimum patient outcomes and decrease potentially preventable ED visits or hospital admissions/re admissions.
- Maintains proficiency in all requisite computer applications and software.
- Maintains consumer confidentiality according to HIPAA privacy rule.
- Provides leadership for new or less experienced team members by training, developing, coaching, mentoring and being a positive role model.
- Assesses patient needs and notifies appropriate staff for collaboration of care.
- Communicates in a collaborative, effective manner with others and maintains good working relationships; able to establish rapport quickly with a wide range of people.
- Positive, flexible, and solution-focused attitude.
- Uses oral and written communication to convey pertinent information to members of the health care team in a timely manner.
- Separates personal from professional interactions with patients and maintains professional/ethical boundaries.
- Participates in regularly scheduled team and inter-organizational meetings.
- Remains organized, prioritizes and communicates effectively to patients, families, clinicians, and team members.
- Follows best practice, policies, and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with the disabled and elderly populations and general public by phone.
- Communicates in a collaborative, effective manner with others and maintains good working relationships.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement to enhance care transition.
- Maintains required documentation for all care transition activities.
- Maintains all tracers under the direction of the Healthcare Data Analyst.
- Assists Manager/Director as assignments are given.
- Monitors and analyzes care transition data.
- Assists as needed to ensure smooth functioning of the department.
- Minimum level of education desired for candidates in this position is an LPN or a CMA with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- At least two years of experience working with individuals with physical disabilities in a home health care, medical, or behavioral health environment is required.
- Demonstrates excellent written, verbal, telephonic, interpersonal and listening communications skills; positive relationship building.
- Ability to work independently under general instructions, self-directed and motivated. Demonstrates ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written interviewing and assessment skills.
- Ability to comprehend written material related to essential job functions.
- Serves as a resource to other team members.
- Knowledge of major chronic disabling illnesses for persons of all ages, disease processes, and normal aging.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, proficient typing skills with the ability to navigate a Windows environment.
- Sensitivity and experience in working with different cultures.
- Demonstrates the ability to handle stressful situations appropriately.
- Demonstrates patient focused interpersonal skills to interact in an effective manner with practitioners, the interdisciplinary health care team, community agencies, patients, and families with diverse opinions, values, religious and cultural ideals.
- Demonstrates the ability to function effectively in a fluid, dynamic, and rapidly changing
- Exhibits an aptitude for learning and remaining current on new technologies and methods; shows initiative in leading changes.
- Be able to work flexible hours as needed.
- Possesses strong organizational skills and multitasking abilities with a keen eye for attention to detail.
- Requires the ability to communicate with patients, office personnel and the community.
- Strong customer service orientation and skills, and proven focus on creating Patient Satisfaction.
- Proven ability to problem-solve Electronic Medical Record and other Clinical data issues.
- Ability to coordinate resources to achieve timely solutions.
- Effectively uses Windows based software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel,
- PowerPoint and use of spreadsheets; proficient typing skills required.
- Medical record review experience desired.
- Comfortable and confident in working with many diverse stakeholders, including physicians, office staff, practice management, vendors, technical support/IT professionals.
- Ability to comprehend written material related to essential job functions.
- A personal vehicle, valid State of Ohio motor vehicle operator's license and conformity with insurance coverage limits are required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Clinical Integration & Utilization Management Department Mission:
Healthcare is a field of rapid change affecting all aspects of patient health. Our department embraces change, continually evaluating ourselves and our processes, to assure we are bringing the highest quality of care to our patients. We continue to learn and grow, realizing that when change is for the right reason, it is extremely gratifying and rewarding. Developing this culture
of quality & excellence, providing Premier Care to our patients, is our mission.
As a group medical practice required to comply with HIPAA and other state and federal compliance standards, employee must agree to follow company's written policies designed to maintain such compliance. Position will have access to Protected Health Information (PHI) and employees are to access only the information necessary to fulfil specific job requirements, including special assignments. Please refer to Premier Physicians Centers HIPAA Manual for complete policies and procedures.