Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Posted on Feb 6, 2020 by iTalent Consultancy
Our client is a leading provider in their field and have a requirement for a newly created role for an Lead Infrastructure Engineer to work in an existing team in Leicester and also a wider IT team in London.
Employing over 500 staff and with multiple offices across the UK the company are going through impressive growth as a result of multiple acquisitions and are now on the lookout for a Lead Infrastructure Engineer
The company offer flexible working (8am-4pm or 9am - 5pm) with some remote working.
What you will do:
In your role as Lead Infrastructure Engineer, you will lead in the management and development of Microsoft based server, communications and cloud solutions for the group. You will be responsible for the design and implementation of new technology as well as providing support for existing systems and related technology. Leading a small internal team of engineers, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of infrastructure operations as well as technical improvement and change projects. You will need to keep up to date with the latest in cloud based and communications technology and provide design guidance to ensure a process of continual improvement.
Other responsibilities include:
- Providing technical leadership, coaching and management of the Infrastructure team
- Creating and delivering a personal development plan for each member of the team
- Balancing operational day-to-day demands against project delivery
- Providing oversight and reporting of key deliverables to management
- Ability to work closely with Service Delivery, Security and the wider IT team.
Provision of technical expertise and delivery including:
- Responsiblility for the design and delivery of new Windows based infrastructure design including Azure, on premise and hybrid solutions
- Managing the Hybrid cloud infrastructure including Servers, storage, security and virtualization
- Delivering of continual improvement through technical delivery to the business including assessing business risk, resilience, capacity and availability of services hosted within the environment
- Providing clear and consistent documentation of systems and architecture, design, configuration and testing evidence
- Providing solution designs, costings and basic project management for the duration of any implementation
- Ownership of system backup service including operational monitoring and reporting
- Liaising in the development of desktop builds/images where integration with server infrastructure is required
- Ownership of technical Backup, DR (Disaster Recovery) and Business Continuity for all server-based solutions.
Provision of incident/request management service, including:
- Providing 2nd line support for complex queries relating to infrastructure issues
- Troubleshooting and issue ownership for complex issues within your areas of expertise
- Liaising with 1st line and 3rd party suppliers to ensure a speedy and positive resolution for customers
- Assisting in problem analysis to provide technical and practical solutions to underlying issues
- Providing regular updates on any assigned issues and providing escalation where service levels are at risk
- Prioritising tasks, requests and incidents in accordance with agreed service levels
- Producing and presenting recommendations relating to the resolution of calls and improvement of the IT service
- Ensuring infrastructure components are correctly registered and tracked with the asset and configuration management database.
Maintenance of the application infrastructure, including:
- Controlling of key system configuration parameters
- Keeping application software levels and patches up to date
- Maintaining test and development environments.
Who you are and the experience we're looking for
- Degree in a related subject (eg Business, Computed Science or IT)
- Experience of leading and developing technical engineers
- Microsoft infrastructure related qualification(s) (eg MCSE)
- Experienced in the design and implementation of MS Azure based services including ADFS, Virtualisation, SaaS and PaaS
- Experience of the implementation and management of resilient services including load balancing, availability sets, geo-redundancy, Azure system updates
- Experience of Azure DR and backup solutions
- Experience of Office365 interoperability
- Solid experience of managing on-premise and hybrid server solutions
- Experience of deploying and/or integrating PC based technologies within Windows 8 and Windows 10 (eg Direct Access, Bitlocker)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products
- Basic network/comms experience (IP, Routing, VLAN)
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to interpret and analyse data
- Ability to multitask and work to meet deadlines under pressure, maintaining attention to detail
- Exceptionally proactive nature, with the ability to innovate and challenge in support of the business model we are operating
- Clear communication skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Experience in a Financial Services business is highly desirable.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£75k - £75k Annual
£51.1k - £51.1k Annual
£400 - £475 Daily
£40k - £45k Annual
£18k - £24k Annual
£60k - £80k Annual