Graduate Family Mediator (Mediation Training Contract)
Posted on Feb 5, 2020 by University of Exeter (Graduate Business Partnership)
Summary of Company
South West Mediation is an independent specialist mediation practice. The hub of our operation is in our bespoke headquarters in Exeter where we receive approximately 200 referrals each month, about half of which come via other solicitors and the rest by word-of-mouth and the internet. The main focus of our service continues to be family mediation, for which we have a Legal Aid contract to offer publicly funded mediation in addition to privately funded family mediation, helping separating couples sort out arrangements for their children and comprehensive financial settlements.
(For More Company Information, Please Refer to attached Bulletin)
Purpose of Role
We want to train and develop the next generation of Family Mediators who will not only to be excellent practitioners but also excellent leaders able to develop South West Mediation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Initial duties and responsibilities - After initial induction and training and several days' observation and mentoring, you will begin to support our Mediation Assistants. Within a relatively short time you will have the ability:
- to deal with queries from existing clients about specific matters relating to their case
- to deal with queries from prospective clients about the mediation process
- to explain the benefits of mediation to an enquirer
- to take detailed referrals from solicitors and self-referrals from individuals.
This role will give you an invaluable insight into the day to day administration of the business and is the quickest way to begin to see the individual stages of the overall mediation process as well as give you the satisfaction of contributing directly to the business.
Medium term duties and responsibilities - In addition to your work supporting the mediation assistants, you will begin to observe our Family Mediators in order to learn the skills needed to mediate successfully and will assist the Mediators in the preparation of the mediation documents. Once you have completed the Foundation Training, you will begin to co-mediate alongside experienced Family Mediators and conduct Mediation Information and Assessment Meetings so that you can complete your accreditation portfolio.
In addition to the above, there may be specific projects in support of the business where your input will be required.
Longer term duties and responsibilities - Once accredited you will begin to mediate on your own and build up your own caseload and experience. We would be looking to you to take on certain roles within the business too, such as overseeing our GDPR compliance or researching options for greater social media interaction with the public.
Training and Development opportunities
- You will receive ongoing support and mentoring from an experienced Family Mediator and also Professional Practice Consultancy to complement the on the job training throughout your training contract.
- Subject to certain conditions, we will pay for your Foundation Training and support you through the Accreditation process with the intention that you become an Accredited Family Mediator within 12 months of joining us so that you can then mediate on your own by the end of your contract.
- The potential for progression for the right candidate in South West Mediation is immense. We will be hoping that you will continue to work as one of our Family Mediators for many years and be an integral part in developing the business as well as taking a prominent part in the management of the business.
Attainments/Qualifications - You will have achieved or be set to achieve a 1st or 2.1 degree. A Law degree may be an advantage but is not essential. We welcome applications from post-graduates as well as undergraduates.
Skills and Understanding
- Approachable and credible with excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people and skilfully manage key relationships.
- Extremely literate and numerate, with flexibility of thinking and the ability to analyse data while also managing often challenging clients. As a mediator, you will need to take in large amounts of financial information from couples in a short space of time and then be able to play around with these figures and information in creative ways before presenting back to the couple both verbally and on paper in a manner that makes complex concepts understandable and relatable to their particular situation.
- Flexible approach to working, able to work from different locations.
- IT - Minimum would be MS Office skills including Excel skills. However an interest in the practical application of IT skills would be an advantage.
- Ability to provide visible and supportive leadership and to foster a positive work environment through empowering, inspiring, motivating and developing others.
Prior Experience -
No previous experience required but you will be able to show why you are drawn to this vocational career and how you have the appropriate mix of skills, personal qualities and attributes
Behavioural Characteristics/ Personal Qualities and Attributes-
- Empathic / Non-judgmental / Patient / Intelligent / Persuasive / Trustworthy / Optimistic / Creative / Good sense of humour / Common sense / Self-aware / Emotionally intelligent / Self-reflective / Tenacious.
- Emotional maturity and resilience with an inner equilibrium as you will be working with separating couples who are deeply enmeshed in sometimes seemingly intractable, highly conflictual and stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible so that you adapt your way of working and approach to meet the needs of the particular clients and situation.
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team.
- Highly organised, efficient and self-disciplined with attention to detail because in any single month you may be meeting and dealing with up to 50 individuals/couples and you will have to process the necessary administrative actions and paperwork quickly and accurately.
- Ability to see the wood for the trees and the bigger picture. .
- Visionary leadership
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.