Digital Technology/Application Development Manager
Posted on Feb 1, 2020 by Beacon Hill Staffing Group
Manages applications development projects or multiple concurrent projects from inception to completion. Directly, or through subordinates, directs the day-to-day activities of project staff and handles all related personnel supervisory tasks. Interfaces with end-customers to ascertain requirements and develops solution approaches which maximize end-customer benefit in the most cost effective manner. Establishes priorities and tracks project progress and ensures that deadlines and budgets are met. Participates in the development of long-range strategic plans. Implementations may involve customized development or the selection and implementation of package software or both.
Emphasis of this position focuses on effective project management, customer relations, personnel supervision and development and strategic planning. Detailed analysis, design and implementation work can be handled through subordinate staff or directly by the manager. This position retains its software development capabilities. Ability to manage multiple concurrent activities while maintaining control over quality of results and costs is essential. Success is measured by incumbent's ability to deliver quality results, on time, and in a cost-effective manner. General duties include:
- Designs and implements sophisticated and complex information systems that complement strategic business processes.
- Leads efforts to develop and redesign information systems by identifying synergies, simplifying complex processes, conceptualize/visualize new processes and identify quantifiable metrics.
- Lead and or contribute to feasibility studies, time and cost estimates, project hardware and software requirements, and implementation of project plans.
- Develops standards, procedures, and methodologies.
- Develops project/task scope definition, test plans, implementation plans, project budgets, project plans and contingency plans.
- Works independently, with little supervision, resolving challenging process/procedural problems.
- Understands the applicability of current and emerging technologies used to deploy business system solutions.
- Functions as an internal consultant and innovator.
- Influences decisions based on business unit expertise, is astute at assessing risk and identifying options.
- Must have demonstrated skills in leading, coaching significant business process change.
- Directs and supervises subordinate lead business consultants, lead application analysts, application analysts and other IT support staff.
- Provides coaching and mentoring for I/T staff and internal customers.
- Provides input into IT decision-making and strategic planning processes.
- Will work on complex enterprise-wide systems and issues, translating complex concepts for peers and customers.
- Improve current systems by studying processes, procedures, and problems. Designing modifications, recommending best practices.
- Will be granted limited decision-making authority.
- Maintain the ability to develop and deploy software/technology solutions to meet the requirements of individual projects.
- Four-year college degree and minimum of eight years of related experience with emphasis on managing an IT applications team or cross-functional business projects
- Experience managing a team in an agile scrum methodology
- Test driven development and automated testing tool experience
- Working knowledge of most of the following Front End web development technologies including:
- NodeJS, AngularJS or equivalent
- Design Systems and Style Guides
- Freemarker or templating
- Working knowledge of most of the following Back End technologies including:
- J2EE web application development
- Database systems including Oracle, Postgres
- RESTful API development
- AWS Cloud Services
- Preferred experience developing on CMS platforms. SAP Commerce experience a plus.
- Familiarity with SEO as well as accessibility standards
- Proven track record of successful, full-scale web application projects from a leadership and development perspective, preferably using the Agile development methodology.
- Readily picks up and applies new business concepts, new application systems, and new technology, to all job activities and specific project assignments.
- Communicates effectively, both oral and written, with internal customers, other Information Technology associates, vendors, and IT senior leadership. Prepares and delivers effective and well-organized presentations.