Resident Engineer SDN Contrail
Posted on Jan 28, 2020 by Flint Consulting Limited
Flint is looking for a Network Engineer with Juniper Infrastructure experience to work on a customer site in Sheffield (UK) and the RE will be a critical part of the operational team, representing Flint and providing support, reaching out to the wider technical and engineering teams for extended support as necessary.
Responsibilities to include:
- To hold design and information gathering workshops with the customer to understand the customer's existing network design and technical requirements;
- To understand the customer's organisational structure and become familiar with the customer's network implementation and support processes and procedures;
- To carry out testing of new features and functionality required by the customer in a laboratory environment and to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network;
- To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the live network;
- To troubleshoot equipment and network problems assisting JTAC (Juniper Technical Assistance Centre) with technical cases through to problem resolution;
- To perform network optimisation and configuration reviews;
- To produce a written summary report of the status of equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the customer;
- To assist the customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures;
- To peer with other employees performing similar resident engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.
The Resident Engineer will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products and solutions in the Juniper product portfolio.
The ideal candidate for this role must be proficient in the development, build and maintenance of cloud based solutions. Having extensive knowledge of SDN overlays and EVPN solutions being very comfortable with DevOps tools and technologies.
- A detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding SDN service provider networks. These skills should include:a) SDN, Contrail networking, OpenStack, IaaS, SDN overlays and EVPN based solutions
- An understanding of the protocols surrounding IP/MPLS service provider networks.
- These skills should include:
- VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (MPLS, VXLAN, GRE, etc.)
- TCP/IP fundamentals
- Routing protocol operation (OSPF, IS-IS, RSVP, IPv6 and BGP)
- Comfortable with Linux or other UNIX implementations, with Scripting skills;
- Experience with DevOps tools and technologies - Ansible, Jinja2, Heat, Docker, Kubernetes, Github
- Technical experience in the installation and operation of Switches and IP Routers. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers;
- Strong experience in troubleshooting complex issues both at the device-level and network-level, in a multi-vendor environment. Able to isolate and identify configuration, design and product issues;
- Previous experience with design, installation and deployment of Juniper Networks products (MX, PTX, EX, QFX, devices) and JUNOS software.
- Strong Interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a diverse, multicultural team;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills. Ability to work efficiently on multiple projects and under pressure;
- Juniper Networks Technical Certifications: JNCIP or JNCIE;
- Strong communication skills; ability to clearly articulate findings in written and verbal communications targeting different audiences: technical and non-technical, staff and management;
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading and writing).
Some out of hours working will be required.
Flint is a provider of services to the ICT industry. Apply for immediate Interview