Ruby on Rails Developer
Posted on Jan 27, 2020 by TM Recruit
Ruby on Rails Developer
Our client has a simple goal - to help every employee have a great day at work.
It's a big vision - and they can't do it alone. They contribute to this vision by helping clients better understand how their workplace can support their employees to deliver in the best way they can. Our client is totally independent; they do not consult, are truly objective and examine the key opportunities and challenges faced by workplaces today. They have a research-led, think-tank philosophy, often questioning industry preferences and popular workplace myths. Since launching, their Index has measured nearly 5,000 buildings in 96 countries and more than 725,000 individual employees, placing it today as the world's largest independent database of workplace effectiveness.
They continue to grow and are global, with offices in UK, New York, Stockholm, Amsterdam. Their client list is the envy of companies 10 times their size. They have recently brought all their technical development in-house and are now looking for ambitious, talented developers to join the team.
What we're looking for
Reporting to the Development Manager, we are looking for a UI developer who is passionate about building high-quality code and has experience in doing so using a on Ruby/Rails, SQL/MySQL, AWS stack.
With 2 years post-education experience, you have the capabilities to solve set tasks with autonomy using your own judgement and support the wider technology team on larger initiatives. We are looking for an individual who is proactive and can primarily help us maintain our existing services and also support the building of great features/products effectively.
Whilst we are an established business, in-house development is new (although the team isn't new to in-house dev), so experience of a fast-paced start-up would be useful but not essential.
You will fit in by:
- Delivering solutions fast
- Thinking like a product owner
- Communicating with honesty and respect
- Having the appetite to build high standard solutions and taking pride in your work.
- Write code, predominantly on Ruby on Rails, React, JS, HTML
- Analyse requirements and translating these to elegant and maintainable code
- Supporting the existing platform, diagnosing problems, and resolving issues
- Participating in wider team planning
- Participating in technology team activities such as code reviews and planning sessions
- Communicating with technical and non-technical stakeholders (including Product and Client Services as part of developing our platform)
Our current stack
- Ruby on Rails
- Kendo UI
- We are also excited to hear about other tech you think would be best to solve the problems we are tackling
- We are working on new product development which may include: React | Bootstrap | Heroku | Postgresql
- Computer Science degree or similar
- 2 years (post education) experience developing Ruby on Rails applications
- Ideally, experience with React or another similar Front End framework
- CI and Automated testing experience useful
- Trello/JIRA experience useful
- Experience of Git or another repo
- Being comfortable working on a fast-paced environment
- The ability to communicate with both technical & non-technical stakeholders
- Keen to learn new skills and to adapt to changing business needs
- Honesty, integrity, and enthusiasm
Not required, but ideal:
- SaaS product experience
- Working with lovely, smart people, solving real problems for grateful clients who really appreciate the work we do
- Partially remote working Watford/London/Home
- Competitive salary
- A generous holiday allowance of 24 days to take whenever you want + bank holidays
All applicants must have a valid UK right to work.
Job Type: Full-time
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£41.5k - £58.1k Annual
£25k - £45k Annual
£35k - £40k Annual
£40k - £60k Annual