Posted on Jan 27, 2020 by City of Shaker Heights
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs intermediate professional and intermediate administrative work in the management and inspection of construction and maintenance projects for specification compliance; provides technical assistance to Director of Public Works, Assistant Director of Public Works and the City Engineer; does related work as required. Work is performed under regular supervision of Director of Public Works.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Managing and administering engineering and construction projects and providing technical assistance on projects including; planning, organizing, conducting construction inspection; ensuring compliance with plans and specifications; responding to project related citizen and staff inquiries & complaints; preparing and maintaining detailed reports, records and files.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Serves as Project Manager for construction and maintenance projects within the City and project inspector on City projects performed by private contractors. Prospective candidates should have a strong background in building capital projects to include roof replacements, HVAC modifications and electrical upgrades. Other areas of experience include a general understanding street resurfacing, pavement marking and streetscape improvements.
- Acts as the City's point of contact with contractors and outside engineering firms.
- Prepares and distributes Requests for Proposals for consulting services. Evaluates professional service proposals and provides recommendation to the Director.
- Reviews and provides comments on design and probable cost estimates. Ensures consultants are meeting project milestones and are meeting the project intent.
- Performs all construction administration to include bidding & award, preparing agendas & meeting minutes, shop drawing review, response to requests for information, claims management, review of pay requests and project closeout.
- Produce forecasts to ensure project costs are within budget and schedule milestones are being met.
- Inspects construction projects for compliance with plans and specifications.
- Institute and maintain document control system for the life cycle of each project.
- Understands and implements OSHA and OMUTCD safety regulations.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of construction practices, techniques, materials and equipment relating to building infrastructure, public works and utilities; general knowledge of engineering plans, specifications and details; ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and blueprints and to compare them with various aspects of construction in progress; ability to detect errors in construction projects; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, contractors, property owners and others to effect satisfactory compliance with specifications and standards; ability to maintain accurate records; ability to prepare reports. Applicants must have experience with Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering, construction or related field and considerable experience in sub-professional engineering or construction work.
Applicants must complete the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) Local Public Agencies (LPA) 12 qualifications modules within one year of being hired.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, preparing and analysing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, and atmospheric conditions.
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of Ohio.
The City of Shaker Heights will no longer hire external candidates who use any form of tobacco or nicotine products.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.