Afterschool and Summer Meals Associate
Posted on Jan 26, 2020 by United Way of King County
United Way of King County is seeking 1 of 30 determined, passionate, energetic problem solvers to commit to 1 year of service with the United Way Afterschool and Summer Meals AmeriCorps VISTA Team.
United Way of King County is a local leader in developing and funding innovative anti-poverty programs to help people in need and solve our community's toughest challenges. United Way engages people, volunteers, and resources in building a community where people have homes, students graduate and families are financially stable.
Afterschool and Summer Meals Program Overview
This position fights poverty by ensuring low-income children living in poverty have access to nutritious food where they live, learn, and play by building capacity for schools and communities through the Fuel Your Future and Summer Meals Program. This program works to increase the accessibility and utilization of afterschool and summer meal sites across King County by building overall program capacity through leveraging volunteers, collaborating with community partners to open sites in communities with high rates of food insecurity, and supporting outreach efforts to families.
Member Roles and Responsibilities
- Increase the accessibility and utilization of afterschool and summer meal sites across King County.
- Collaborate with community partners to expand the number of summer meals sites in King County.
- Provide technical assistance to increase access to meals sites.
- Develop and coordinate a countywide outreach strategy to increase community awareness of the Free Summer Meals Program.
- Strategize and create innovative techniques to increase participation at Summer Meals sites.
- Coordinate with community partners to increase access to federal afterschool meals programs.
- Identify and pilot new, innovative strategies to reduce food insecurity among children and families.
- 18 years of age or older
- U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States. F1 Visas are not sufficient.
- Availability fulltime 40 hours per week from March 16, 2020, to March 15, 2021
- Must go through background checks
- Modest living stipend of $1,583.40 per month, pre-tax
- Healthcare, life insurance, and childcare benefits, and 24-hour access to counseling services over the phone
- Relocation and travel reimbursement if you're relocating over 50 miles to serve
- Unlimited ORCA Transportation card
- 10 personal days, 10 sick days, 9 federal holidays
- Eligible to receive Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($5,920), or a cash award ($1,800) after successful completion of your service year
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual repayment on qualified student loans; private loans are not eligible
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment
- Unique cohort experience with monthly team meetings to participate in high-quality training, professional development, networking opportunities, and one-on-one support from a VISTA Leader
- A strong ethic of service and commitment to anti-poverty work
- Demonstrated interest working with non-profits and/or degree in related field
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment
- Excellent organizational abilities and project and time management skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing workload
- Proficiency with MS office programs including Outlook, Word, & Excel
- Willingness to maintain a strong work ethic in the face of challenges such as living within the means of the VISTA living stipend
- Experience recruiting or managing volunteers, planning events, and/or working with homeless, diverse, or low-income populations
About the Company
United Way of King County is building a community where people have homes, students graduate and families are financially stable. VISTAs commit to serve full-time for one year at organizations across the county starting Mid-March 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We deploy AmeriCorps VISTAs with partner agencies doing excellent work in the following impact areas: ending homelessness, increasing food security, engaging youth in academic and career pathways, and expanding economic opportunities. We are currently recruiting for VISTA positions for the below organizations.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.