Head of Embedded Software Engineering
Posted on Jan 24, 2020 by VPss
Head of Embedded Software Engineering - Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire - £85,000 to £105,000 - Ref: J2475
We have an opportunity for a Head of Embedded Software Engineering to join a global leading technology manufacturer operating in over 30 countries. The Head of Embedded Software Engineering will be responsible for leading and growing a talented/diverse team of Software Engineers who are working on evolving and building the next generation of solutions, whilst continuing to deliver their current world leading products.
As the Head of Embedded Software Engineering, you will report into the Director of Engineering taking ownership for the Embedded and application software teams, their deliverables, processes and people.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing and coordinating a talented pool of software engineers to deliver innovative solutions, define, and execute on software development programmes
- Guiding and supporting the team in the continuous improvement of their Agile development practices with the goal of continuously delivering and improving to realise the maximum potential of the team
- Developing and delivering a strategic technological vision for software development
- Working effectively with Product Managers and Product Owners to ensure delivery against agreed priorities, meeting current and future user needs
- Implement mechanisms to monitor, manage and provide progress on all software development activities
- Accountable for the quality and on time delivery of software development projects
- Departmental and project budget forecasting, estimation, and control
- Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement plan for software development
- Ensure that the skills and experience of the Software team is consistent with the technological and business needs for providing quality in present and future products
- Establish clear organisational structures and succession plans aligned with appropriate responsibilities, accountabilities and personal development for all Software Development staff in line with any anticipated growth
- Work with the Product Managers with the aim of meeting current and future user needs
Skills, knowledge and experience required:
- You must have come from a software development background with extensive experience of developing Embedded software
- You should have experience of supervising a number of functional teams operating in different software domains with different toolsets and capabilities (ie Embedded, Android, PC Applications utilising a variety of technologies such as C/C++, C#, Java, Embedded Linux etc)
- The role will suit someone with extensive and demonstrable software team management experience and capabilities
- A well-practiced people manager with extensive experience of setting goals, managing performance, and motivating teams and individuals to deliver
- Proven track record of building and shaping teams from scratch, bringing new capabilities into an organisation
Interested applicants should contact Michael Johnson of Venables Parsons Search & Selection (VPss).