Full-Stack Software Engineer Lead (Java/Agile)
Posted on Jan 21, 2020 by Allstate
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Are you great at Ideation? Can you take an idea, explore different design principles & implement? If yes, this is the right opportunity. Allstate is looking for a Full-Stack Software Engineer Lead to join our dynamic team of scrum/extreme programming (XP) developers in Chicago/Northbrook & serve as anchor/technical lead. Our goal is to build Rating products that support Pricing strategy for Allstate Insurance Products. This team will engineer software all day, every day, on a full-stack cloud platform. Driving quality leveraging test-driven development with continuous integration & continuous delivery is key to our engineering approach. This is a tremendous opportunity to deliver the next-generation Rating product for our end users. This team will be working at our innovation hub in the Merchandise Mart which will provide the latest in modern equipment, healthy work spaces, and engineering tools to accomplish our goals.
- Participates in product scoping, discovery and framing, and inceptions providing technical input and helps translate user features into system design
- Help define strategic direction and map out tracks of work to live into short-term and long-term needs
- Leads the effort of shaping the architecture and design of the product including recovery, security, and audit
- Leads and participates in inceptions and iteration planning meetings, infusing backlogs with technical input working in close partnership with the product manager
- Identify risk and issues and possible mitigation strategies.
- Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
- Leads and participates in retrospectives; demonstrating and encouraging each participant to provide feedback with empathy
- Leads collaboration and strategy alignment across product portfolios (cross-product) in partnership with product managers, other peers and key stakeholders with the customer needs and wants in mind
- Serves as an expert on the R3 (Ratemaking, Rating and Rate plan implementation) domain and a distinguished advocate of multiple technology stacks and shares that knowledge across organizations
- Serves as the anchor of the team and practices technical leadership; helping guide the team in building prototypes, choosing the right technology, solving technical problems, and resolving any technical conflicts within the team
- Coaches the team (onshore & offshore) and leads daily practices of using paired programming and test driven development in writing software and building products and enhancements
- Establishes continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
- Leads and participates in knowledge sharing, and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the CompoZed Labs community.
- Bachelor's or Masters/MBA degree in a field such as Computer Science or Data Architecture
- 8+ years of experience developing and implementing systems at scale.
- Strong understanding of computer science concepts, object oriented design principles
- Strong understanding of distributed systems, operating systems, networking, databases, security, and analytics
- Hands on experience and accountability architecting, designing, implementing and delivering large scale distributed systems and/or applications for the cloud, including microservices architectures and 12-factor principles
- Experience developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages, including but not limited to React JS, Java (Spring) & Python
- Experience and knowledge in developing REST APIs including tooling for documentation (swagger, REST-docs, openapi spec), versioning, service discovery/registration, testing and management; experience using API gateways a plus
- Experience and knowledge in web and API security including authentication, authorization, OAuth, OWASP, OpenID, and SAML
- Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization
- Actual experience developing continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipelines for distributed apps
- Knowledge and advanced experience using distributed version control systems (git), artifact management systems, build and packaging systems (maven, gradle, npm, artifactory, etc…) and continuous integration tools (Jenkins).
- Knowledge and experience on approaches and tools for automated testing (including performance testing) and monitoring
- Experience working in an eXtreme Programming (XP) or any agile environment
- Experience in Test Driven Development; including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks like junit, mockito, jasmine, protractor, cucumber, and other like technologies
- Able to lead agile teams and lead collaboration across teams; serving as an anchor or technical lead for complex distributed systems spanning multiple apps, services, APIs, and datastores
- Familiarity with open source software
- Able to learn new technologies, and teach other members of the team/s
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video .
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment