Activities and Program Coordinator, part-time
Posted on Jan 15, 2020 by Congregation of St Joseph
Looking for the most rewarding and peaceful workplace in Northeast Ohio? The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph is that place! St. Joseph Center is situated on a wooded campus overlooking the Cleveland Metroparks. The Congregation of St. Joseph is a religious community of vowed Catholic women and lay associates who live and minister in the US and around the world. St. Joseph Center is an a assisted living facility for retired sisters.
The Activities and Program Coordinator is responsible for planning and implementing the activities and programs designed to encourage and stimulate residents to have fuller, richer lives. Under the direction of the Director of Nursing and the Center Administrator and working in conjunction with the Center Director of Nursing, the Activities and Program Coordinator will be responsible for planning and producing a wide variety of activities and programs ie speakers, outings, shopping, and other various social and enrichment activities. The Activities and Program Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the transportation and/or driving the sisters/residents to and from off-campus activities and programs utilizing Congregations vehicles. This position puts customer service first; ensuring that the sisters/residents receive the highest quality of service in a dignified, caring, and compassionate atmosphere which recognizes individuals' needs and rights, in conjunction with relationship centered living.
- Plan and organize activities and programs including, but not limited to, games, parties, music, arts and crafts, field trips, therapeutic exercise, entertainment, educational programs, spiritual programs, and social gatherings.
- Provide opportunities for recreation, self-maintenance, and social and interpersonal relationships.
- Maintain relationships with sisters/residents and outside groups and/or individuals to provide an opportunity to share ideas and suggestions for ongoing activities.
- Using Congregational vehicles, transport sisters/residents to and from off-campus activities.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to the mission and charism of the Congregation of St. Joseph while embracing and actively supporting the Generous Promises and Neighboring Anew.
- Develop, coordinate, and evaluate leisure, educational enrichment, nutritional, exercise, and recreational programs for the Center.
- Create and implement programs and services to meet those needs in a collaborative model.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be creative and able to implement a variety of modalities, including arts and crafts, drama, music, dance, games, and community outings.
- Enthusiastic and able to communicate and interact effectively with geriatric residents, including those with memory impairment.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrate good judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to make responsible choices and decisions and act in sisters'/residents' best interest.
- Ability to lead activities and motivate fellow team members and sisters/residents with their involvement in the social events and various scheduled social activities.
- Possess written and verbal skills for effective communication.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products Word, Publisher, Outlook, and Excel.
- Ability to work semi-independently without direct supervision by following community procedures and guidelines and able to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends when appropriate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors' degree or minimum 2-4 years' work experience in a related field.
- Degree or course work in Recreational Therapy and/or specialty courses certified locally and nationally a plus.
- Experience in social or recreational programming in senior living communities or other senior setting preferred.
- A current state driver license with an acceptable driving record in accordance with applicable state Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and the Congregation of St. Joseph policy.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle including vans.
- Must be able to hear and speak without difficulty.
- Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to stoop, twist, bend, reach above shoulder level, and lift up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to carry out verbal instructions and converse with residents, co-workers and visitors.
- Ability to push/pull wheelchairs, geriatric chairs, and other equipment.
Successful applicants must pass state-required drug and background screens and TB testing.
CSJ Initiatives and The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph are equal opportunity employers. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.