Posted on Jan 8, 2020 by The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter
Our Mission: To discover treatments and a cure for ALS, and to serve, advocate for, and empower people affected by ALS to live their lives to the fullest. The Oregon and SW Washington Chapter of The ALS Association provides support and resources for people living with ALS, their families, and caregivers living in the State of Oregon and the six counties of Southwest Washington.
Development Coordinator: Portland, Oregon Reports To: Special Events Director
Job Status: Part-Time, Exempt
Salary: $20,000 - $22,500
Benefits: Generous retirement match, 8 paid holidays, generous PTO package, parental leave, professional development, access to in office fitness center, paid for parking onsite, and more.
Schedule: Mutually agreed upon schedule of 25 hours per week. Based out of Chapter Headquarters in Portland, Oregon with frequent travel to Salem, Oregon.
Your Opportunity: The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter seeks a skilled individual to manage a peer-to-peer and fundraising event portfolio including, but not limited to, Hike to Defeat ALS, State Capital Walk to Defeat ALS, State Capital Give Hope for ALS Cocktail Hour and Fundraiser, and assist with the annual ALS Dinner Auction and Gala. This hands-on position is ideal for someone who will bring creativity, energy, and encouragement to event fundraisers.
Position Summary: Our Development Coordinator position provides the opportunity to grow, enhance, and coordinate event based fundraising initiatives. This Development Coordinator will be the main lead for fundraising activities in the Salem/State Capital territory, along with assisting Portland Metro area-based activities.
Event Fundraising: (75% of position)
- Recruit and support past and potential event participants through regular face-to-face meetings.
- Provide hands-on support and coaching to event participants and assist them in developing and implementing their personal fundraising strategies including, but not limited to: social media, email or letter writing campaigns, and third-party fundraisers.
- Collaborate with the chapter Care Services team and attend monthly support groups to engage people living with ALS in chapter fundraising events.
- Work with Development team to develop strategic plan for implementation of all events and campaigns.
- Develop, track, and manage goals for each event based on attendance, fundraising, and awareness.
Event Coordination: (25% of position)
- Work to enhance the overall experience for participants in chapter events - pre, day of, and post.
- Assist with the organization and coordinate logistic needs for chapter events, including but not limited to in-kind donations, permitting, rentals, awards, etc.
- Help recruit and lead volunteers for chapter events and in-office support.
- Manage data input of offline donations and registrations, along with electronic event files and records.
- Bachelor's degree and/or 1+ years of fundraising experience.
- Experience and comfortable with an outward facing, interactive, position that requires candidates to be social with and encourage fundraisers throughout peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, and quick to learn new database and fundraising platforms.
- 1+ years' experience with donor database systems
- Able to walk, run, climb stairs and lift 40 pounds or more.
- Able to work some nights and weekend as needed. Must travel, drive own vehicle, drive rental vehicles, and fly when needed for work purposes throughout all of Oregon, SW Washington, and out of state.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: Emily-Rose Wiitala, Special Events Director: . No phone calls, please.
The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter is an equal opportunity employer and believes that each team member makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities outlined in a job description. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each team member will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.