Linux Systems Engineer Contractor
Posted on Jan 4, 2020 by Request Technology
A prestigious company is on the search for a Linux System Engineer contractor. This role will be a minimum 6 months long. This person will be performing tasks to maintain overall availability and reliability of 4000+mLinux/Unix Servers in a highly available, complex, 24/7 Real Time environment. This person will be doing engineering as well as production support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, configure and deploy fully-distributed Linux and Unix systems and software according to scheduled timelines. Provide server infrastructure, production support, build and deploy Servers. Use business knowledge, technical knowledge and knowledge of industry best practices to propose high-quality technical and procedural solutions, and make effective and timely decisions in alignment with departmental direction.
- Investigate, evaluate and troubleshoot to quickly and thoroughly resolve problems that occur during operations. Effectively collaborate and communicate with team members, management and internal departments to effectively identify, explain and resolve issues. Escalate issues as necessary according to guidelines and use of own judgment. Identify and anticipate problems that may occur, and take preventive action to reduce the likelihood of impact to business operations. Inform management of the status of incidents and changes which impact any system.
- Monitor, test, and tune system performance. Preserve and provide system log files as needed. Research and analyze performance issues. Research, test and recommend processes and technology to optimize system performance.
- Create, modify and maintain project and process documentation, making updates on a regular and timely basis. Prepare accurate and complete written materials to convey specific technical problems, their related issues and their solutions; document step-by-step processes and techniques in detail. Share documentation with staff by posting on internal wiki. Clearly communicate technical and non-technical concepts to peers and management.
- Participate in a rotational on-call 24*7 support schedule and weekend implementations when needed.
- 4 or more years of Linux RHEL 6.x administration experience in a large enterprise environment. Experience in analysis and troubleshooting and preparing project/technical documentation.
- Knowledge of Symantec Netbackup environments and RedHat RHEV/kickstart environments
- Working knowledge of server clustering (Symantec VCS), Volume Management (Symantec SF), and Solaris (10.x)
- Intermediate to advanced level skills in Scripting including Perl, PHP, Shell
- identify problems and collect relevant information for analysis; apply tools and logic to diagnose and develop theories on possible causes; look for root causes, not just symptoms; use judgment and experience to complement data; develop practical and relevant solutions; seek expertise or escalate problems when appropriate
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field.