Head of Commercial Data Products
Posted on Jan 3, 2020 by UCAS
Head of Commercial Data Products
Reports to: Director of Analysis and Insights
Direct reports: Yes
Team: name TBC
Business unit: Analysis and Insights
Working closely with colleagues across the charity and our commercial arm UCAS Media, the Head of Commercial Data Products is responsible for the creative use of our data in the development and delivery of all of our commercial data-driven products and services.
As our product team delivers a roadmap based on product performance, and market and customer insight, you will lead the multi-disciplinary teams who provide the expertise to deliver high-quality commercial data products and services, against the needs expressed by the product roadmap. You will drive the pace of change to provide real commercial thrust to the use of our data in producing insight products. Once these products have been thoroughly tested, they will need to be moved into operation, and the role holder will need to collaborate with product, marketing, and pipeline management colleagues to execute in line with the go-to-market approach developed by the appropriate Product Manager, and the operating model for each service or product. You will need a close working relationship with the technology and architecture functions.
Taking the lead from the business strategy, you will set the vision and commercially shape what the division is doing, and work with the customer facing teams to shape ideas and customer needs into value adding commercial propositions, including the increased use of personalisation, visualisation, and rich data presentation. We aspire to move to rich containerised products that may include video, data, and text files in presenting meaning to our users.
- Lead, coach, and mentor members of the A&I delivery teams to encourage delivery at pace, high-performance, and a continuous focus on our customer requirements.
- Identify opportunities in the data for the development of commercial products, working closely with the Lead Product Manager responsible for commercial products, colleagues in UCAS Media, pipeline management, and customer representatives, to understand user needs and how data science can help meet them.
- Ensure that there is a clear plan for delivering the product roadmap, which is aligned with the commercial customer needs and requirements through collaboration with key users, product management, and others both inside and outside of the organisation - including identifying service costing and cost-benefits.
- In collaboration with both internal and external customers, UX, and insight teams, develop specifications for the commercial use of data, surveys, and insights products.
- Deliver the new commercial products in line with the product roadmap, and ensure that improvements to existing products are delivered at pace, according to agreed specifications, to time and to budget.
- Maximise profits of individual products by reducing cost of development and delivery of those products.
- Maximising the productivity of the team through training, development, performance management, resource management, and automation.
- Maximise efficiency in developing products and approaches by using a wide range of techniques and technologies (ML, AI, advanced statistics, NLP, etc).
- Identify, scope out, and set up new development opportunities.
- Support the consulting data team.
- Working with the product management function, drive the application of product management in the development of products and services.
- Deliver a portfolio of data services operations.
- Drive the development of our survey activity for commercial and charitable purposes.
- Play a key role as part of the wider Senior Management Group (SMG), actively contributing to and implementing the overarching UCAS corporate strategy.
- Provide clear strategic direction and regular, effective communication to your designated service area.
Skills, qualifications, and experience:
- You will be experienced in the successful exploitation of data science for revenue generation, for example in retail, financial services, or another customer facing sector.
- You have a data science or commercial data background, and a high degree of literacy in the proactive development of uses of data and insight from big data sources.
- You have an excellent track record of delivering commercial products at pace.
- You have experience of managing product cost/benefits.
- You have excellent senior customer communication skills.
- Significant experience of leading effective data service delivery teams, and/or some senior level customer facing experience in a data science environment.
- You will have an honours degree in quantitative subjects, and potentially postgraduate qualifications in a related field.
This role profile sets out the scope and main duties of the post at the date when it was drawn up. Such details may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot of themselves justify a reconsideration of the level of the post. All UCAS employees are expected to be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their role and may be asked to perform other duties, which reasonably correspond to the general character of their role and their level of responsibility.
Our values in action:
Customer-focused - We understand what our customers want, and we act on their changing needs.
Collaborative - We collectively create an engaging and positive work environment.
Accountable - We take ownership of our individual and organisational performance.
Service excellence - We realise, grow, and maximise our potential.
Trusted - Individuals are trusted to make informed decisions and take appropriate risks.