Senior VSAT Engineer
Posted on Jan 2, 2020 by OmniAccess
As Senior VSAT Engineer you will be jointly responsible for the design, configuration and operation of our VSAT network infrastructure. Together with your fellow engineers you will proactively monitor the vital performance of our networks, and if necessary liaise with external satellite providers if required. As a member of the team you will take part on the continuous improvement of the network and the services we provide.
Occasionally you may have to provide Tier-3 support for issues that are escalated from Tier2, engaging with the NOC or at times directly with customers. Occasionally this may require onsite visits of vessels. You will also be expected to participate in a phone-based rotational Tier-3 support schedule for after-hour emergencies in our core networks. This is been planned and not implemented yet.
Apart from the day-to-day responsibilities you will also be involved in more structural matters such as the design of specific networks and/or services for customized (client) networks as well as the development and integration of certain new network-services related to the VSAT environment.
The balance between the more routine operational tasks and the structural development tasks will depend on both your skills/interests as well as the current operational load, but we are very keen to stimulate creativity and give people the room & resources to develop interesting ideas.
You will report directly to the Infrastructure Manager.
- Deep knowledge of VSAT networks components
- Experience managing iDirect VSAT networks
- Experience managing Newtec VSAT networks and SCPC links
- Knowledge on how to make and understand Link Budgets
- Ability to design VSAT networks based on Link budgets and clients requirements
- Experience on troubleshooting VSAT networks incidents
- Excellent analytical & trouble-shooting skills
- Intimately familiar with IT network concepts
- Ability to grasp complex network structures, functional diagrams and dependencies
- Good communication skills in English
- Client-focussed attitude
- Proactive hands-on approach
- Ability to work under pressure in a dynamic 24x7 live network environment
- Eager to learn new technologies and prepared to continuously expand your knowledge levels by participating in (sponsored) external training courses