Lead Network Engineer
Posted on Dec 26, 2019 by Request Technology - Robyn Honquest
The Senior IS Network Engineer will be required to demonstrate the following skills in order to be effective over the course of this role.
- Cisco Nexus Switching - Strong experience to expertise with Layer 2/3 routing and switching specifically with Cisco Nexus technology.
- Firewalls - strong understanding of roles they play in the network and an ability to support the physical hardware from a tier 1 level.
- Load Balancing - Strong understanding of the concepts behind load balancing from a tier 1 level.
- Network Protocols - strong understanding of MPLS, STP, QoS, Multicast, DMVPN and Nexus VDC/vPC protocols.
We are seeking experience architecting or designing solutions in a significant Cisco Nexus environment (5K, 7K and/or 9K Nexus product) as our primary focus.
- Leads program/project management for complex IS network related projects
- Designs network architecture and integration methodology related to introducing new systems and services
- Provides oversight of data equipment labs locally or remotely, and proof-of-concept activities with vendors involving research, test case execution for viability, performance, integration, and migration of new equipment, software, systems and that are often associated with an RFP or RFI
- Leads interaction with external partner organizations, such as NNEO Engineering, ADMT, RSO, CSO, and EPMO Support
- Creates and presents technical roadmap for IS network architecture
- Leads IS network strategy review meetings
- Creates and presents "root cause" analysis documents in response to service outages, performance degradation, maintenance activity/configuration errors
- As an advanced Subject Matter Expert (SME) for relevant technologies, interfaces with the vendors' distinguished members of technical staff on projects and critical/escalated network issues
- Serves as the lead focal point for IS network-related issues; resolves issues in team environment
- Identifies and implements industry best practices. Research current and future industry technology
- Develops, implements and conducts technical training sessions for engineers
- Develops and presents detailed business cases for IS network projects
- Ensures communication of process and procedure changes to key stakeholders
- Develops and maintains documentation for IS network standards, policies, and procedures.
- Identify process improvement areas and develop the improvement initiatives
- Determines IS network Key Performance Indicators
- Actively mentors subordinate engineering staff
- Develop and maintain advanced knowledge of infrastructure, network operations, and critical services
- Provides guidance to project resources; deliver to agreed-upon milestones
- Proactively promote consistent project-based performance measurement and skill development of junior staff
- Actively participate in HR performance measurement processes
- Provide input to staffing plans at the project-level to identify key/required skills
- Participate in the interview process for network engineer candidates
- Travel required for regional, vendor, training, and engineering meetings and presentations
- Master's degree in related technical area is preferred
- Minimum 10 years relevant work experience
- Mastery of the relevant technologies
- Strong understanding of the business and industry
- Highly experienced in re-engineering/process improvement
- Strong change management skills; change agent
- Strong technical project management experience running cross-functional teams
- Excellent presentation skills demonstrated in front of large audiences; Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving/analytical skills and knowledge of analytical tools
- Prior experience creating, defining, and analysing metrics that accurately reflect the current state of a given process or operation
- Certification(s) in relevant field of expertise (CCIE, CCDE) is preferred.
- Experience supporting mission-critical infrastructure in a fast-paced environment
Cisco Hardware: ASR 1000 Routers; ISR 4000 Routers, Catalyst 2900, 4500, 6500 Switches; Nexus 1000v, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 7000, 9000 Switches, WLC 5500, 7500 controllers, ASA 5500 appliances, Cisco WAAS, Cisco UCS; Other Network Hardware: Riverbed Steelhead and Interceptor, Radware ADC; Gigamon, Palo Alto Firewalls; Network Technologies: TCP/IP, MPLS, STP, VTP, 802.1Q, QoS, Multicast, GRE tunneling, IPSEC, DMVPN, Nexus VDC/vPC, FabricPath, VXLAN, FCoE, FCIP, VoIP, VRF, DNS, NetFlow, IP SLA; Routing Protocols: EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, HSRP; Other: NetScout, IP address management/subnetting, statistical analysis, IPv4/IPv6, packet analysis, familiarity with current network security practices; Network Applications: Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Cisco ACS, Infoblox, Wireshark, Cisco ASDM, Cisco CSM, Cisco AnyConnect; Business Applications: Remedy Ticketing, Citrix, Microsoft SharePoint; Standards & Methodology: ITIL, SOX, PCI, CPNI; Office Automation: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint; Planning & Design: Microsoft Project, Visio; O/S and Software: Windows 7, Red Hat, SSH, VPN Client, VMware
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
$130k - $150k Annual
$130k - $145k Annual