System Administrator - Linux, VMware
Posted on Dec 2, 2019 by Pactum
This is a permanent position, calling for at least 5 years' experience of Systems Administration and Design. The position will appeal to someone who likes to work in a structured environment on applications which support the monitoring of Earth's environment and weather.
You will be placed on assignment based in Darmstadt, Germany for some years. Candidates should be available to start in early 2020 at the latest and must already be qualified to work in Germany as it will not be possible to achieve a work permit for this role.
Our client is responsible for establishing and operating weather forecasting and Earth observation satellite programmes with associated data telemetry and dissemination operations. Vast quantities of data are produced and user communities throughout the world are able to access both current and historical data sets. The demanding Real Time environment places much emphasis on adherence to quality and configuration management standards and procedures.
The main working language is English.
The role will embrace:-
- Requirements specification
- Design of robust, highly available and secure computer architectures including relevant documentation
- Setup and implementation of hardware and software solutions
- Support to Integration, Verification and Validation activities
- Operation of systems in line with agreed SLAs
- Liaison with external providers of hardware and system software
- Implementation and maintenance of scripts and procedures
- Addressing anomalies in an end to end manner
- Provision of stand-by/on-call support
The key experience and attributes sought are:-
- At least 5 years of experience in IT Design and System Administration
- Provision of IT services according to ITIL best practices
- Expertise and experience in IT Architecture and Design (high and low-level)
- Good knowledge and experience in security (principles/concepts, secure architecture/protocols, implementation of security controls, tools, etc.)
- Significant work experience of Linux operating systems (RedHat and SLES) as well as good command of Microsoft Windows
- Experience of VMware virtualization
- Experience of High-Availability and Clustering solutions at OS and application level
- Good troubleshooting skills incl. root cause analysis
- Disaster recovery strategy and backup/recovery systems
- Good understanding of incident and problem management
- Technical documentation skills
Knowledge of some of the following would be advantageous:-
- TCP/IP and related network protocols and applications
- (Web) Application and Database components
- Server hardware solutions
- Storage (SAN, NAS, etc.) and network solutions and technologies
- Monitoring (Nagios, op5 Monitor, etc.)
Candidates should possess a University degree or equivalent. Fluency in English is essential.
Pactum was established in 1988 and provides space system services and recruitment consultancy to clients throughout the UK and across continental Europe.