DevOps Software Engineer (non Cloud)
Posted on Nov 21, 2019 by Garrison
Founded in 2014 in London, United Kingdom, Garrison has raised more than $50m to date from London investors including Dawn Capital, IP Group, NM Capital and BGF. Garrison's strengths lie in its experienced and dedicated teams, building on years of expertise in cyber security to bring genuinely game changing technology to the industry.
Garrison is working to build the future of cyber security and is already deploying at scale in both the government and commercial space. Our existing customers are large organisations averaging over 50,000 employees each, across sectors including banking, insurance, media, telco, law and government.
Our working culture
We are an exciting start-up with ground-breaking technology; a very serious mission to solve real world problems, but with a positive and highly inclusive atmosphere, and an excellent work/life balance!
At Garrison we celebrate diversity and inclusion, and we're focused on continuously improving equality for the benefit of our employees, products and community. We recruit, develop and retain talent purely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we take every possible step to ensure that every person employed or seeking employment with us receives fair treatment. No-one shall be disadvantaged on the grounds of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital and parental status, neurodiversity, social background, physical ability, illness or otherwise.
Employee benefits are as follows:
- Flexible working hours and regular working from home
- 25 days holiday allowance per year (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme of 8% base salary (depending on employee minimum contribution)
- Life assurance and critical illness cover
- Share option scheme Personal annual training budget
- Perkbox discounts and freebies - free coffee, free cinema tickets, and lots more!
- Bike to work scheme and an interest-free season ticket loans
- Regular socials - games nights, open air cinema, quiz nights and company picnic are all recent!
- And free fruit, tea and coffee in our offices!
Overview of the role
As a DevOps Engineer at Garrison you will be instrumental in improving the workflows, practices and processes employed by the wider engineering team. You will focus on developing, maintaining, and running the continuous integration, deployment and testing infrastructure, including both bespoke and third-party solutions.
You will contribute to all aspects of product engineering within the team and take the lead on developing CI and test software solutions. You will support the entire engineering lifecycle from design through development and into operational deployment by developing tools, methods and infrastructure to make our working practices as effective and efficient as possible.
Our technology stack ranges from bespoke hardware, FPGAs and embedded software, to mobile and desktop applications, web services and AWS. You will have the opportunity to contribute to DevOps across the whole stack, covering a massive range of tools and methods in a product engineering environment.
Garrison has a challenging, supportive and fast-moving working environment with a huge opportunity to learn about different technologies, develop new skills and set out on a range of career paths.
Continuous integration / deployment
- Developing tools and enhancing infrastructure that automate the process of building, integrating and testing our products; this will include building and deploying firmware onto FPGAs and software onto a mix of our own custom hardware and standard PC / servers.
- Developing new pipelines for software and firmware (FPGA) build and integration and re-engineering existing ones to streamline continuous integration and deployment.
- Gathering metrics on the performance and efficiency of our engineering and operational processes and using this data to identify and deliver improvements to how we work.
- Choosing the right tools for the job. By understanding the nature of our work you will choose, deploy and maintain the best tools for us to use: be they open source, paid for or developed in-house.
Test toolbox capability development
- Developing the system-level test framework and reusable test components for end-to-end testing of the Garrison solution and individual solution components.
- Supporting the engineering team in developing, integrating and automating tests covering all aspects of the system and producing reports on automated test execution.
- Designing and developing new software to further enhance our integration and test capabilities across our unique technology stack.
- Improving code maintainability and supportability for example through ongoing code refactoring, code peer-review, test development and provision of stable APIs.
- Creating and maintaining scripts to automate routine development activities, such as appliance configuration and system releases.
- Investigating new technologies and performing rapid prototyping to support technical de-risking and discover new opportunities for design improvements.
- Researching and integrating third-party solutions to DevOps needs.
- Promoting a "DevOps mindset" across the engineering team and accelerating the adoption of new tools, workflows and best practices across new and existing project.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary engineering team, with a passion for improving engineering workflows and quality, working across teams to embed automation and rapid feedback into engineering practices.
- Aptitude for scripting with Python, Bash or Shell, and knowledge of an object-oriented programming language such as C++ and/or Java.
- Understanding of development tools and technology, including source control, continuous integration, containerisation etc.
- Knowledge of different operating systems, ideally including Linux and Windows.
And experience in these areas would be a massive bonus (but don't worry if haven't covered!)
- Continuous Integration in systems involving custom hardware.
- Developing and running automated tests.
- C# programming.
- Atlassian toolset, Gitlab and/or Kubernetes.