Posted on Oct 25, 2019 by GCI Com
Systems Engineer required for one of the UK's fastest growing MSPs
Job Location: Salford with Home working
GCI are looking for a candidate with a passion for technology and who wants to develop in a fast-growing company to join our growing team as a Systems Engineer.
About the role
The Systems Engineer will report to the Head of Software Development and Data Science and work closely with colleagues to provide critical support and administration for application infrastructure and servers. Servers are typically built on Linux foundations, with a small element of Windows. Services are predominately virtual, and some also on physical hosts.
Data is critical to the department and as such the role is required to be fully conversant with the building and administration of MySQL / MariaDB Galera Cluster.
The role also involves monitoring system performance and service availability using the monitoring tools of Nagios and Cacti. The role further requires some Devops skills and knowledge to assist the department as systems and services scale and evolve.
The department is also responsible for ISP functions & services such as DNS, mail, and RADIUS, and therefore basic Networking knowledge is advantageous. Such work could include the migration of services from old to new infrastructure, or the maintenance and support of new ISP server infrastructure.
- Linux server administration
- VMWare ESX vSphere administration
- MySQL / MariaDB Galera Cluster set up and administration
- Physical Server build and maintenance - ESX, CentOS and Windows
Additional Day-to Day responsibilities will include:
- Using the team Wiki server to document services and systems
- Responding to tickets escalated from the Service Desk
What we'd like from you
To deliver the best for our customers, the people in Team GCI also need to be the best. Therefore, we look for colleagues who demonstrate dedication and passion to a shared goal, who work well with others and who genuinely love what they do. A willingness to learn and quickly adapt is a must, as well as the drive to succeed.
Other qualities specific to this role include:
- Networking / Firewall
- httpd configuration
- Server scripting - bash, python
- High Availability Services using HAProxy
- DNS / SMTP / RADIUS
- Windows Admin
- LDAP / Active Directory
- GIT version control
- Development to production deployment pipelines
- Jenkins / Puppet
- Containerization - eg Docker
- Network configuration on VM's and physical hosts
- Backup and restore
- File systems NFS, Samba
- Data Centre
- Agile and Lean process philosophies
If you think you have what it takes to become part of Team GCI, then don't hesitate to apply now!
What you can expect from us in return
At GCI, we think it's important to look after our employees. In addition to a competitive salary, supportive teams and real chance to progress your career, we offer a range of benefits which include:
- Holiday:22 days' holiday, rising to 25 days with length of service
- Flexible working:It's important to maintain a healthy work/life balance. GCI will consider any written request for flexible working
- Virtual working:We practice what we preach and empower our people to work virtually
- Top tech:We don't just keep our services and solutions for our customers. That means best-of-breed software and hardware for all our staff
- Life assurance:Employees receive life assurance cover of 4x their annual salary, to be paid to a nominated next of kin in the event of death
- Health cash plan:All staff are eligible for our health cash plan, which includes money back for optical and dental treatments
- Retail discounts and other perks:A "thanks" from GCI for a job well done, this scheme offers freebies and discounts for hundreds of major brands
- Volunteering:We believe in supporting and encouraging all our staff to participate in activities that support charities and aid organisations, so we provide 1.5 days' paid leave per year to enable them to give back.
Why choose a career with GCI?
At GCI, we have several goals. We're one of the UK's fastest-growing MSPs and want to continue to keep growing. We're a leading Converged ICT Services Provider and want to keep expanding our product portfolio and customer base. But most importantly of all, we want to continue to provide the very best technological solutions to our customers in order to help them achieve digital transformation. And underpinning this is more than 500 talented professionals whose hard work is recognised and rewarded accordingly.
GCI recognise the importance in creating an environment that supports personal development to enable individuals to reach their full potential. With so many varied roles across the company, an excellent Apprenticeship Scheme and various training and development programmes available, at GCI the opportunities for growth are endless.
A note for agencies
GCI have a world-class, in-house Recruitment Team who work hard to successfully find the very best candidates. Therefore, unfortunately we cannot accept any agency submissions for any of our roles.
Job Type: Full-time
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£41 - £41 Hourly
£35k - £45k Annual
£35k - £45k Annual
£35k - £40k Annual