User Researcher - Gov.UK - Edinburgh
Posted on Oct 23, 2019 by Mercator IT Solutions
You should be experienced in using a variety of user testing methodologies to reveal actionable customer insights. You will have excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to quickly develop recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative evidence. You will need to be confident in explaining user needs to senior civil servants, and for acting as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within the team and the department at large. You will also be comfortable working with data, from gathering and analysis through to design and presentation.
The main responsibilities of the post are:
- conducting qualitative and quantitative research (including user requirements gathering including video capture and early stage concept and prototype testing, guerrilla research, and other approaches to ensuring the user need is fully understood in the service design), leading on the initial designs right up until you test the final product all with real users
- working with the team's business analyst and product owner to translate your research into user stories or (with the help of developers if necessary) prototypes
- collating findings into accessible formats where key messages are easily accessible
- presenting findings and related design/business recommendations and customer insights to senior decision makers
- promoting user centred design principles and best practice within government
PERSON SPECIFICATION - SKILLS REQUIRED
Specialist Skills & Requirements
- Demonstrable knowledge, experience in and passion for web user centred design practices.
- Experience of working to GDS assessment standards.
- Proven experience of gathering user requirements for web based services.
- Proven experience of managing, executing and analysing usability test sessions
- Experience of audience modelling and developing design personas.
- Experience across web content, tools and transactional services, especially those with complex user journeys.
- Proven experience of working with others to deliver
- Experience of working on digital by default service standard compliant government websites
- Degree in HCI/Usability/Cognitive Psychology/Market Research or related field.
- Experience within a research and digital environment.
- Strong knowledge and experience of working with Agile methods, particularly SCRUM
- Experience of working across government departments and engaging in cross-departmental research.
- Experience of both public and private sector user research projects.