Hadoop Support Engineer
Posted on Oct 19, 2019 by Harvey Nash IT Recruitment Switzerland
Overview of business area or project:
We are looking for a passionate Platform DevOps Engineer. S/He will have the opportunity to build and maintain a big data platform together with our team of engineers and systems experts. In addition, s/he will help to operate Palantir Foundry running on our Cloudera Hadoop Farm. We are adding multiple terabytes of data each day and our data scientists crunch through them with the help of Palantir Big Data technology.
S/He will be responsible for deploying, automating, maintaining, troubleshooting and improving the systems that keep the Back End infrastructure running smoothly. The role requires you to have hands-on technical experience and a can-do approach towards environment automation/management and continuous improvement
- Responsible for monitoring business applications and services in production, mainly based on strategic Big Data platform
- Handling incident tickets as well as customer calls
- Responsibility for Batch job monitoring and troubleshooting
- Parsing and analysing data feeds as well as error checking
- Writing and running scripts on DB for ad-hoc reports
- Application/component administration on Windows/Unix Servers
- Software release and problem management
- Coordination for Disaster Recovery Testing
- Automation of support activity
- Support DevOps principle throughout the team
Overview of the department/team (team size, backgrounds, personalities):
We are ramping up a team of 6 DevOps Support Engineer in Switzerland to around 12. The team will grow as we see fit, this is part of a strategic investment at the bank.
Challenges Contractor will be facing in this role:
Currently we do a lot of manual reactive work, my goal is to reduce this by 80% so that the main work is actually on automation and proactively manage the platform for future needs.
Essentials Skills and Qualifications:
- Cloudera Hadoop certification or equivalent work experience
- Experienced Linux engineer
- Software life cycle management
- Cluster Management
- Incident management support
- At least of 5 years of experience in a similar position
- High analytic and problem solving skills
- Good prioritization and time management skills
- Bright, fast, positive and motivated, with a clear 'can-do, will-do' attitude
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Prior experience in Production Support and ITIL processes.
- Experience in Tableau admin is advantage
- Experience in Control M jobs/Rundeck jobs
- Exposure to SQL syntax (select, joins, deletes)/databases
- Used to working in an international and multicultural settings
- Good communication skills in English
- Experience in coordinating with different stakeholders from IT and Business side
- "Hadoop and Big Data" based tools and technologies along with Java applications
- Understand SSL/Kerberos authentication
Candidate Value Proposition:
The bank is building a Big Data Platform with intention to transform Regulatory and Compliance department and processes, which will give it a competitive advantage. We are the first Bank that increased the share price after an investor day mainly due to Compliance digital transformation presentation.
You have the chance to be part of this massive happening and we are looking for candidates to bring their experience and skill set to help to build a robust platform.
If you think this could be the right role for you, please feel free to apply online or please contact Agnieszka Wojcik directly ((see below)).