Senior Software Developer
Posted on Oct 16, 2019 by Comcast
Senior Software Engineer-Backend
Xfinity Home Intelligence Platform
The Xfinity Home Intelligence Platform is being developed by Comcast Cable's Technology & Product (T&P) organization and consists of advanced technologies that process home automation and security video to provide added value to these products. Advanced video analytics algorithms running both on the camera and in the cloud will enable the delivery of useful notifications and easy to consume digests of video security content. This can include thumbnails or short clips where people are present in the video and could be as advanced as recognition of household members, pets, vehicles, etc. and their behaviors.
As a Senior Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and building specific components of the platform. You will work with other engineers and researchers with backgrounds in advanced fields such as computer vision and machine learning (including deep learning). As a key member of the team, you will help define, refine, and test state of the art algorithms, and scale the associated systems for high performance, stability, and availability.
Comcast T&P encourages career development with regular opportunities for training and programs for innovative cross-team projects such as week-long Hackathon and job rotation programs over the summer.Core Responsibilities
- Writing production-quality, tested code.
- Understanding the code base thoroughly in breadth and depth, as well as managing code repositories and development infrastructure.
- Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity
- Collaborating with our quality assurance and technical operations teams to provide outstanding customer service
- Resisting the accrual of technical debt in our systems.
- Mentoring more junior members of the technical staff, performing code reviews, and leading the team to be effective and agile.
- Building proof-of-concept applications or conducting research experiments
- Staying educated on technical developments and tools necessary for the design and maintenance of complex, distributed platforms
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field
- 8+ years of server-side development experience in Java/Golang
- Experience building efficient ETLs or data pipelines with distributed, highly available services required
- Experience developing service oriented architectures and an advanced understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability required
- GCP, AWS, or Azure cloud experience required
- Experience with distributed messaging (Kinesis, Kafka) required
- Experience with SQL, noSQL databases (Redis/MongoDB/Cassandra), optimization, and caching required
- Advanced understanding of multi-threaded applications and efficient use of compute resources required
- Knowledge of container orchestration (Nomad/Kubernetes/Mesos) required
- Must have strong habits around error handling and monitoring tools
- Experience with continuous integration, test-driven-development, automated unit and integration testing
- Hands-on experience developing RESTful web services
- Experience using GIT versioning tool
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and practices (refactoring, TDD, pair programming)
- UNIX/Linux background: BASH Scripting and performance analysis
- Experience with various data interchange and representation formats such as JSON, XML, and Protobuf
- Experience using and building docker images
- Familiarity with service discovery frameworks (Consul) a plus
Comcast is an EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.